Panendeism.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Deism = Mysticism?

Go down 
+4
Aaron
The Paineful Truth
stretmediq
Gnomon
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Paul Anthony

Number of posts : 253
Registration date : 2007-10-07

Deism = Mysticism? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deism = Mysticism?   Deism = Mysticism? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2008 10:08 pm

As Aaron has stated, the definition of mysticism is skewed in the West. I would put much of the blame upon the early Roman Catholic Church, since discrediting all other forms of belief was vital to the success of the new government-sponsored religion.

I am a member of AMORC (Ancient Mystical Order of the Rose Cross) better known as the Rosicrucians, but I still consider myself a Deist. This is a form of mysticism that is compatible with almost any religious belief one might hold, and we have members who continue to be active in their churches. I found that fact troubling at first - how can one become enlightened and still believe in one's old religion? - but I have been told by other members that the knowledge gained from Rosicrucian teachings allows them to interpret their church's teachings in a way not usually expressed by their ministers.

The principles of Rosicrucian mysticism is based upon the teachings of the ancient Egyptian mystery schools - "mystery" meaning that these precepts were only passed on to select students. The masses have always had their watered-down religious teachings, while a select few studied on a deeper level (think about monks, for example).

Everything presented in our teachings is accompanied by a practical experiment. No one is expected to accept anything they can't prove for themselves. I'd call that rational mysticism, wouldn't you?
Back to top Go down
http://www.voltairepress.com
Uriah

Uriah

Number of posts : 536
Registration date : 2007-10-11

Deism = Mysticism? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deism = Mysticism?   Deism = Mysticism? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2008 10:49 pm

Just taking a walk in the desert can mystical.
Back to top Go down

Deism = Mysticism?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2