Panendeism.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Modern Deism vs "classical" Deism

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

Modern Deism vs "classical" Deism Empty
PostSubject: Modern Deism vs "classical" Deism   Modern Deism vs "classical" Deism Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2007 5:44 pm

What do you think is the main difference between Modern Deism and "Classical" Deism?
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
The Paineful Truth

The Paineful Truth

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2007-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Modern Deism vs "classical" Deism   Modern Deism vs "classical" Deism Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2007 8:41 am

Modern Deists believe there is no objective Truth and therefore it can be anything they want to believe with the ultimate objective of not offending anyone. Classical Deists believe in facing the painful Truth, which is wherever the evidence and facts may lead.

OK, so I embellished a little.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Modern Deism vs "classical" Deism   Modern Deism vs "classical" Deism Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2007 9:14 am

I consider myself to be a "modern deist", yet I believe in objective truth so I'll have to disagree with you there.
Back to top Go down
The Paineful Truth

The Paineful Truth

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2007-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Modern Deism vs "classical" Deism   Modern Deism vs "classical" Deism Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2007 3:01 pm

Don't I remember you defending Christian (in the supernatural sense) deism? Or let me ask it this way, what differentiates you from classical deism?
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Modern Deism vs "classical" Deism   Modern Deism vs "classical" Deism Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2007 4:51 pm

The Paineful Truth wrote:
Don't I remember you defending Christian (in the supernatural sense) deism?

No, I don't think that was me. At least not in a supernatural sense.

Or let me ask it this way, what differentiates you from classical deism?

That's a good question. I'll have to get back to you later on it though because I don't have the time to answer it properly right now.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Modern Deism vs "classical" Deism   Modern Deism vs "classical" Deism Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 10:37 am

What differentiates you from classical deism?
I was going to write a long post about the beliefs of the various groups of classical deists and how and where those beliefs came from, and then I was going to compare and contrast those beliefs with mine. But then it occurred to me that there's really no need to go into all of that detail because the difference is really very simple.

I see existence as divine in and of itself. I think most of the classical deists viewed existence as a creation of the divine.
Back to top Go down
Helium

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2007-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Modern Deism vs "classical" Deism   Modern Deism vs "classical" Deism Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 6:50 pm

Quote :
Modern Deists believe there is no objective Truth and therefore it can be anything they want to believe with the ultimate objective of not offending anyone. Classical Deists believe in facing the painful Truth, which is wherever the evidence and facts may lead.

Well I looked up the word prejudicial in the dictionary study and that paragraph was listed as one of the examples!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modern Deism vs "classical" Deism   Modern Deism vs "classical" Deism Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Modern Deism vs "classical" Deism
Page 1 of 1