Panendeism.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

When did you first hear about Deism?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

When did you first hear about Deism? Empty
PostSubject: When did you first hear about Deism?   When did you first hear about Deism? Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2007 10:22 pm

I'm interested when and how you first heard about Deism and Panendeism for that matter?

I first heard about Deism about 4 years ago while doing some research about "the real Jesus". It was right around the time that "the Passion of Christ" came out. I first heard of Panendeism on DD about a year and a half ago.
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Travis Clementsmith
Admin
Travis Clementsmith

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2007-03-30

PostSubject: Re: When did you first hear about Deism?   When did you first hear about Deism? Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2007 2:39 am

Let's see, I first learned about Deism about six years ago and about panendeism about, I think it was four years ago on the Yahoo board. I had actually heard of panentheism before that and had thought that came close to describing my flavor of deism, but I never put the deism into the panen till later.

-TC
Back to top Go down
scorch

scorch

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2007-05-13

PostSubject: Re: When did you first hear about Deism?   When did you first hear about Deism? Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2007 12:21 pm

I first heard about it when reading about America's founding fathers, many of whom referred to themselves as Deist.
Back to top Go down
http://www.internet-messiah.com/forums
K. Mapson

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2007-05-19

PostSubject: Re: When did you first hear about Deism?   When did you first hear about Deism? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2007 10:46 pm

Wow, I can't even remember.... I'm sure it was in high school. But I very distinctly remember when I was a freshman in college, in 1991, a friend introduced me to this visiting professor who had a roundtable discussion on alternatives in religion -- not part of a class or anything, just people getting together to share ideas -- and he gave a very convincing pitch on deism, pantheism, and pandeism. That was definitely the first time I heard of pandeism, and probably the first time deism had been addressed to me in a really complete way. I'll see if I can find the prof's name, and give him a ring!!

I heard of Panendeism only recently, by comparison -- I think it was only coined recently, tho. Saw it on Wikipedia about a year ago, before the admins deleted the article.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: When did you first hear about Deism?   When did you first hear about Deism? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2007 10:16 am

Yeah, IMO Panendeism has been around for a long time however the term was coined only about four or five years ago. (At least as far as we know.)
Back to top Go down
The Paineful Truth

The Paineful Truth

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2007-09-19

PostSubject: Re: When did you first hear about Deism?   When did you first hear about Deism? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 1:29 pm

I heard about deism as a freshman in college, but not as a result of structured study but just informal discussions--such as these. I heard about pan/panendeism 2 or 3 years ago.

BTW, I consider myself a panendeist but only as a pleasing framework since I see no evidence or reason at all to favor any particular model of deism. I'm barely a deist over an atheist as it is.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: When did you first hear about Deism?   When did you first hear about Deism? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 2:09 pm

For myself, belief in a Pan/Panendeistic model started from a rational perspective. More recently it has become more of a realization however. The realization is that ultimately we are all a part of "the one". I think that both science and phenomenology point to this "singularity".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When did you first hear about Deism?   When did you first hear about Deism? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

When did you first hear about Deism?
Page 1 of 1