Panendeism.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Deism and Love

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

Deism and Love Empty
PostSubject: Deism and Love   Deism and Love Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2008 11:05 am

I know that many theists believe that God is the source of all love and that through love humans can know God, however most deists tend to believe in either an impersonal or trans-personal god.

As deists, what do you think the source, meaning, and importance of love is?

Last edited by Aaron on Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Chattan

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2007-11-07

Deism and Love Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deism and Love   Deism and Love Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2008 12:22 pm

For me, love is a human emotion that is required for us to form life-sustaining relationships and ultimately can bring about a better life for those that are able to share in such a concept.

However, as most will agree here, I don't believe that God has human traits and characteristics so the idea that God embodies love or has love makes no sense to me. Whatever God truly is I find no value in placing human characteristics on God as this only places God in a box and basically creates God in our image.

I always liked the quote that stated that if horses had Gods then they would look like horses.

I believe that we do not come to know God as much as we have the ability to experience God. We are limited in our understanding of the world which forces us to try and fashion that which we come to believe in to that world.

Unfortunately, how do we come to understand something such as God that is beyond our limited understanding? The answer is simple, we don't. Instead, we must learn as a species that we are limited and come to accept that our views on God are limited and fall far short of what God truly is.

Ultimately, love can be that which allows us to respect these differences of opinion among ourselves and to overcome all the man-made versions of God that we create and then use to control others.

Wishful thinking on my part but it would make a better world if we all practiced love and respect.

Joe
Back to top Go down
http://www.moderndeism.com
Helium

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Deism and Love Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deism and Love   Deism and Love Icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2008 7:43 pm

Love is to the moral universe what the physical laws such as gravity are to the physical universe.

That's my theory in short.
Back to top Go down
Schizophretard

Schizophretard

Number of posts : 380
Registration date : 2007-10-22

Deism and Love Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deism and Love   Deism and Love Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 6:24 am

The source of love is the mind and not the heart like most people believe. I believe God has a mind so he has love and is the source of it.

I believe that love is placing such a high value on someone that it feels like they are a part of you. The the meaning or purpose of love is to unite all as one. All things are united in God because God loves all things. In other words, God places a very high value on all things. So, all things are a part of him.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/dayorder
Schizophretard

Schizophretard

Number of posts : 380
Registration date : 2007-10-22

Deism and Love Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deism and Love   Deism and Love Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 6:26 am

Helium wrote:
Love is to the moral universe what the physical laws such as gravity are to the physical universe.

That's my theory in short.

Can you share your long version?
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/dayorder
Helium

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Deism and Love Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deism and Love   Deism and Love Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 7:34 pm

Quote :
Can you share your long version?

Yes, good point. I'll get back to ya when I have a chance to scribble it down.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Deism and Love Empty
PostSubject: Re: Deism and Love   Deism and Love Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Deism and Love
Page 1 of 1