Panendeism.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite Christmas Music

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

Favorite Christmas Music Empty
PostSubject: Favorite Christmas Music   Favorite Christmas Music Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 3:26 pm

Christmas is only a few months away and pretty soon we'll be hearing a lot of Christmas music.

I was wondering what's your favorite Christmas CD, Album, Song, etc.?

I've always been fond of the Elvis Christmas Album myself. I also have a Windham Hill CD called "A Winter's Solstice" that's really good. I also like to listen to Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" this time of year even though it's not technically a Christmas album. And then there's "A Charlie Brown Christmas" by Vince Guaraldi, that's a classic.
afro santa
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Uriah

Uriah

Number of posts : 536
Registration date : 2007-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Christmas Music   Favorite Christmas Music Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 3:48 pm

This may not surprise you but I find Christmas to be a holiday that is fake, overly materialist, and devoid of real human expressiveness.

Bah-Humbug

My wife, however, loves Christmas - and she would listen to Christmas music all year long is she could. This makes it hard on me, because I care for her, and I don't want my anti-Xmas attitude to ruin her Holidays. So I play along, I don't think she really understands the level to which I despise Xmas. Now, that's love I tells ya!

Anyway, she has this Xmas cd by the Squirrel Nut Zippers which is my favorite
Back to top Go down
Helium

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2007-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Christmas Music   Favorite Christmas Music Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 3:50 pm

Yeah, I'm set for the third year to lead the Christmas sing-a-long for my kid's entire junior elemenatary school with a couple of other parents. So how does a deist get in that position. Just so many good memories with my ma and pa singin' at Christmas.

Lennon's War is Over is ubiquitous but occasionally, if the atmosphere is right, it'll still send a shiver down the spine.

I love all the old religious standards, all the old secular standards (by Bing and company) and even some of the newer ones. In particular I bought Barenaked Ladies Christmas album last year and it was whacky in places but good overall, some actual good originals.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Christmas Music   Favorite Christmas Music Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 4:04 pm

Uriah wrote:
This may not surprise you but I find Christmas to be a holiday that is fake, overly materialist, and devoid of real human expressiveness.

Bah-Humbug

Yer gonna be fun when you get old. Very Happy

BTW, I haven't heard about The Squirrel Nut Zippers in ages. I think my wife has one of their CDs. I'll have to check it out again.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Christmas Music   Favorite Christmas Music Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 4:10 pm

Helium wrote:
Lennon's War is Over is ubiquitous but occasionally, if the atmosphere is right, it'll still send a shiver down the spine.

Yoko's voice ruins that one for me. It makes me feel like doing this... Curse
Back to top Go down
Helium

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2007-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Christmas Music   Favorite Christmas Music Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 8:30 pm

really, I love Yoko's voice in it. But then I think I'm one of the very, very, very few that actually liked her contribution on the Starting Over album.

As for Uriah, I sympathize with your disgust at the crass overcommercialization of Christmas. But I guess we grew up relatively poor, so it definitely wasn't overcommercialized in my youth. And I guess those rosy memories are a buffer to the crass commercialization you correctly point out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Christmas Music   Favorite Christmas Music Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite Christmas Music
Page 1 of 1