Panendeism.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Christmas: what does it mean to you

Go down 
+2
Averroes
Helium
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Helium

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Christmas: what does it mean to you Empty
PostSubject: Christmas: what does it mean to you   Christmas: what does it mean to you Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2007 2:29 am

Ah dammit, I'm not going to let us deists escape this topic. No sireee.

Whaddaya think about this Christ-mas business.

Okay, this is just off the cuff.

But my nine-year-old believes in Jesus and Santa.

Actually flat out asked me whether I believe in Santa.

And I think the jist of my reply was ... no comment. You know what as you get older I figure out less and less about your life and you figure out more and more. So this question, since it ain't life and death, I'll just let you figure out.

As for Jesus. I do let him know honestly how I fit in the scheme. But I say it rather neutrally.

As for Christmas.

I get to lead my son's Christmas carol sing song at school, believe it or not Fri. Morn (actually looking over most of the songs they're more Holiday as opposed to Christian).

And on Sunday, I'm due in a senior's home to lead a Christmas sing-song (and I'll gladly lead the good ol Christian Christmas songs if it'll bring a smile to thehir faces."

The only thing I absolutely won't do to bring a smile to their faces is stop singing or stop playing gueeeetar lol! )

Anyway, Happy Christmas.

And to those who are offended.

Happy Holidays! Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Averroes

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Christmas: what does it mean to you   Christmas: what does it mean to you Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2007 4:20 am

I don't mind celebrating Christmas; I object to Easter

I don't mind celebrating Eid ul Fitr; I object to Eid ul Adha

I don't mind Hannukah; I object to Passover

Merry Winter Solstice. 'Tis the season wherein sons of gods are born off virgins.
Back to top Go down
The Paineful Truth

The Paineful Truth

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2007-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Christmas: what does it mean to you   Christmas: what does it mean to you Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2007 10:00 am

I mentioned it here or somewhere a couple of days ago, I like to adopt the concept of the Jewish Hanukkah as a festival of lights, light being the symbol of Truth, and ably represented by the return of our native star.

I despise most traditions, but occasionally we can put one to good use.

(I'm torn about the Passover. Initially, it's a remembrance of the acquisition of freedom, which is something worth celebrating, whether or not the story is based on fact or just a legend. The part I object to is that they no sooner get their freedom, than Moses starts having people killed for gathering sticks on the sabbath, and generally turns into a real party pooper. They trade making Pharaoh's bricks for worshiping Moses tent.)

Quote :
You know what as you get older I figure out less and less about your life and you figure out more and more. So this question, since it ain't life and death, I'll just let you figure out.

That's an absolutely superb answer. To bad it doesn't work with sex.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Christmas: what does it mean to you   Christmas: what does it mean to you Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2007 11:10 am

I generally enjoy the Christmas season despite all the crowds and over commercialization. I am happy when it's over however.

Regarding the Santa question. I would say that yes, I believe in Santa, even if only metaphorically. So when the time comes when my son or daughter asks me if I believe in Santa I will tell them yes and without fibbing. (All be it in a Clintonesque sort of way.)
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
The Paineful Truth

The Paineful Truth

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2007-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Christmas: what does it mean to you   Christmas: what does it mean to you Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2007 5:54 am

I don't mind the commercialization. It's a festival, not a holy day.

Your kids won't ask you if you believe in Santa, they'll ask you if there IS a Santa Clause or if he's real. Different question.
Back to top Go down
Helium

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2007-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Christmas: what does it mean to you   Christmas: what does it mean to you Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2007 3:23 pm

There's no doubt that Christmas has almost become drowned in overcommercialization, but so far I've succeeded in not throwing out the baby with the bathwater, and can enjoy it on my own terms.

Playing for my son's school with a couple of my musician friends was really fun. As a two-bit relatively untalented singer/guitarist, there aren't too many times I'm gonna get a crowd of 600 singing so loudly that we can actually chord to them. Hey who cares if its elementary school children singing jingle bells!

And tomorrow I'm scheduled in a seniors home with some other friends to play some carols.

I guess in my family I have the fondest memories and being a poor family over-commercialization wasn't an option for us. But there was always something under the tree, always wonderful Christmas treats that my mom had made and of course the Christmas day turkey; and it usually meant my older siblings returning home, and time off.

I'll be doing well if I can provide my son a similar store of memories!
Back to top Go down
Uriah

Uriah

Number of posts : 536
Registration date : 2007-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Christmas: what does it mean to you   Christmas: what does it mean to you Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2007 4:19 pm

The only thing I like about Christmas is that I get a lot of days off.

I also, though I am loathe to admit it, enjoy the time it gives to spend with my beautiful wife and even some family too.
Back to top Go down
Averroes

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Christmas: what does it mean to you   Christmas: what does it mean to you Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2007 4:40 pm

Paineful wrote:
(I'm torn about the Passover. Initially, it's a remembrance of the acquisition of freedom, which is something worth celebrating, whether or not the story is based on fact or just a legend. The part I object to is that they no sooner get their freedom, than Moses starts having people killed for gathering sticks on the sabbath, and generally turns into a real party pooper. They trade making Pharaoh's bricks for worshiping Moses tent.)

If I recall correctly, Passover celebrates the murder of the first borns of Egypt by the spirit of God and its passing over the Jewish houses marked with blood.

I don't mind celebrating Hannukah because it is the victory of the Hizbollah/Hamas type Maccabeans over the Roman invaders and occupiers. It is an errie kind of reminder of the type of wars were are fighting in the Middle East and how the Fourth Beast, with a loud mouth horn, was eventually brought to its knees.

The similarities are so obvious, with the modern day Israel just like the ancient Israel, a satellite state of the world empire, set agaisnt the original Holy land of Judea (i.e. West Bank Palestine).
Indeed in celebrating Hannukah the Israelies unwittingly celebrate the victory of those they so vehemently hate and opress without remorse.
Back to top Go down
Paul Anthony

Paul Anthony

Number of posts : 253
Registration date : 2007-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Christmas: what does it mean to you   Christmas: what does it mean to you Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2007 5:41 pm

Christmas....

A time to celebrate family and friends! Nothing wrong with that.

Long before there was Christmas, there was the celebration of the Winter Solstice - a time to celebrate family and friends. Hmm...

It is celebrated at the coldest time of year, because the days are short and the nights are long and, let's face it, before electric lights and central heating that had to be some really depressing time! So, people had a festival, to take their minds off their misery. Nothing wrong with that (although living in Southern Arizona kind of negates the importance of it - the temp is about 55 F and the sun is shining).

The only problem I have with the holiday is the incessant yammering of Christians, complaining that we aren't all celebrating the virgin birth of their Savior! (who was most likely born in April or May, if he actually lived at all).
Back to top Go down
http://www.voltairepress.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Christmas: what does it mean to you   Christmas: what does it mean to you Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Christmas: what does it mean to you
Page 1 of 1