Panendeism.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is Deism lacking anything?

Go down 
+5
Helium
Schizophretard
The Paineful Truth
Uriah
Aaron
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Helium

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2007-09-14

Is Deism lacking anything? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Deism lacking anything?   Is Deism lacking anything? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2007 3:04 am

Okay, ya can stop bangin' your head against the wall. I think I'm on the same page with respect to freedom. We kinda like the free exchange of ideas but respect those who might have a different take, be they deist or not!
Back to top Go down
Averroes

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Is Deism lacking anything?   Is Deism lacking anything? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2007 5:13 am

In deference to you, my friend, I've stopped bagging my head agaisnt the wall. Cheers!
Back to top Go down
The Paineful Truth

The Paineful Truth

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2007-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Is Deism lacking anything?   Is Deism lacking anything? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2007 1:38 am

Helium wrote:
Paineful said
Quote :
But we could do things in the name of science, justice, love and art--and mean it

Well now I'm confused, if God is truth, truth is God, then is not science, justice, love and art but aspects of the truth. And if we seek the truth, no matter what the medium, are we not seeking God? Then what does it matter whether we do it in the name of the aspect of the truth, or in the name of truth or in the name of God?

Just thought I'd try a different tack. Don't want to sound like a broken record, and so many people get their hackles up when you use the word Truth--like it's not in play or something.
Back to top Go down
Gnomon

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2007-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Is Deism lacking anything?   Is Deism lacking anything? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2007 11:13 pm

Aaron wrote:
Are there any aspects of Deism or the deist approach that you feel are lacking?

If Deism is conceived as a save-the-world religion, it currently lacks one necessary ingredient for effectiveness and longevity: a spread-the-gospel meme***. Since the absentee-deity concept appeals primarily to rebellious-freethinkers and rugged-individualists, it may never reach the critical-mass threshold necessary for a chain-reaction of popularity. But that's OK by me, since I view Deism as an abstract world-view rather than a down-to-earth, day-to-day ministry. Any decent religion can handle that boots-on-the-ground, rank & file stuff. The "Intellectual Elite" Cool has always led more by example than by doctrine.

Perhaps the better role for Deism is to save-the-world-from-religion. Imagine "Nature's God" as the constitutional cornerstone of a secular society.

***Wiki: Aaron Lynch: Thought Contagion
Lynch hypothesized that an idea which stimulated its host to proselytize (e.g., "Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel") would be more likely to survive and become popular than an idea which did not elicit such activity.
Back to top Go down
http://www.enformationism.info/
CraigC

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Is Deism lacking anything?   Is Deism lacking anything? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 2:48 pm

The concept of a movie is good. But of course that takes money, or at least selling the idea to people who can make it happen.

In the same vein, my thought on what is needed is publicity - like a movie, or other concepts mentioned like books, online forums, etc.

I've planned a book and started it, but since I've never written one before, who knows how long it will take.

I think our best shot is convincing someone who can make it happen, to actually do it. I have a nephew who is a writer in Hollywood (non-union so he's still working). Maybe he has an idea of how ideas get passed along.
Back to top Go down
http://www.GodOnlineHome.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Deism lacking anything?   Is Deism lacking anything? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is Deism lacking anything?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2