Panendeism.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Modern Spirituality

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

Modern Spirituality Empty
PostSubject: Modern Spirituality   Modern Spirituality Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 5:35 pm

Here's another Wilber excerpt from Integral Spirituality.

Quote :
From Chapter 10: Integral Life Practice

Where Is Spirit Located?

Here's a simple thought experiment. Picture the following men (or make them women if you like), and then tell me which you think are probably the most spiritual?

1. A man in an Armani suit.
2. A man driving a red Ferrari.
3. A man pitching baseball in the major leagues.
4. A professional comedian.
5. A mathematician.
6. A man in a tank top lifting weights.
7. An Olympic swimmer.
8. A college professor.
9. A model.
10. A sexual surrogate.

Which do you think is the most spiritual? Which do you think is the least spiritual?

It's funny, isn't it, the things that we think are not spiritual? Why do we picture most of those people as not being very spiritual? Or conversely, why do we have such a hard time seeing them as being spiritual? Aren't we actually just giving our own prejudices about where we think spirit is or is not to be found? Or worse: aren't we really just announcing how old and fragmented and NOT INTEGRAL our ideas about spirit are? Why is telling jokes not spiritual? Why is something beautiful—a car, a suit—not spiritual? Why is physical excellence not spiritual? Why is sex not spiritual? Why is . . .

It's a new world, it's a new spirituality, it's a new time, it's a new man, it's a new woman. All of the above categories are deeply spiritual. Mostly all that list is, is a list of things we are afraid to allow spirituality to touch. Dead from the neck down, with no humor, no sex, no aesthetic sensibility whatsoever, wasting away, spending one's days and nights ignoring the world and lost in prayer . . . what a strange God, that.

Well, no more. Dead to life, dead to the body, dead to nature, dead to sex, dead to beauty, dead to excellence: that never was a real God, anyway, but merely a desiccated distillation of the things that men and women always had the most difficulty handling, and things from which God became the Great Escape, a distillation and concatenation of every phobic and repressive impulse a human being possessed.

Well, no more. It's a new world, it's a new spirituality, it's a new man, it's a new woman.

The Spirit is integral, and so is the human being.

So how do you define spirituality?
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Helium

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2007-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Modern Spirituality   Modern Spirituality Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2007 1:55 am

That was an interesting excercise.

But again, I'm lost on integral. I know you and others allude to Integral a lot.

And you have those maps.

But it's all gobbledy gook to me. Brick Wall And I don't say that negative in any way. I mean it truly honestly, I just haven't checked it out.

So you could say the excercise was still fascinating despite my not cottoning on to the whole integral thing (is it a cult?)

But it's funny it was the physical things that I didn't deem spiritual, i.e.

1. A man in an Armani suit.
2. A man driving a red Ferrari.
9. A model.
10. A sexual surrogate.

Hmmm. Where's Al when ya need her. We need some analyses here. Think study
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Modern Spirituality   Modern Spirituality Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2007 9:18 am

Helium wrote:
(is it a cult?)

No it's more of a metaphilosophy. The point is, if something's done very well it can be spiritual.
Back to top Go down
Helium

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2007-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Modern Spirituality   Modern Spirituality Icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2007 3:07 am

Quote :
The point is, if something's done very well it can be spiritual.

Yes that's a good point.

What's the prefix meta.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Modern Spirituality   Modern Spirituality Icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2007 7:55 am

In this sense it's meant as a kind of basis or foundation for one's own philosophy that integrates (or at least attempts to) many areas, fields, and wisdom traditions.
Back to top Go down
Thoreau

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Modern Spirituality   Modern Spirituality Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 7:33 pm

I agree with Aaron that anything done well can be spiritual. I would add that anything done with awareness can be very spiritual - which is actually a very Zen concept.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modern Spirituality   Modern Spirituality Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Modern Spirituality
Page 1 of 1