Panendeism.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is a parrot enlightened?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

Is a parrot enlightened? Empty
PostSubject: Is a parrot enlightened?   Is a parrot enlightened? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2007 9:48 pm

Something about this quote struck me and I thought I'd share it...

Quote :
Not all parrots know what their saying, they just like the sounds they're taught. Even if a parrot did know what it was saying, is it really enlightened enough to teach me anything - especially in my own language?

And as entertaining as it may be, a parrot reciting Buddha is still just a parrot and I would much rather know what IT thought. I can read Buddha anyway.
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
b1rdman

Number of posts : 1
Location: : Shreading the paper at the bottom of my cage in Coupeville Wa.
Registration date : 2007-07-23

Is a parrot enlightened? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is a parrot enlightened?   Is a parrot enlightened? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2007 6:38 pm

Aaron wrote:
Something about this quote struck me and I thought I'd share it...

Quote :
Not all parrots know what their saying, they just like the sounds they're taught. Even if a parrot did know what it was saying, is it really enlightened enough to teach me anything - especially in my own language?

And as entertaining as it may be, a parrot reciting Buddha is still just a parrot and I would much rather know what IT thought. I can read Buddha anyway.

Yes and No.

A lot of things that a bird repeats is just a mimic of the sound that the bird has heard. Several species are very good mimics, the best being African Greys, Amazons and Quakers. I own or should I say the property of 6 Quakers. The thing I have learned about the bigger birds, they are a lot more aware than what people will give them credit for. Do they understand what the philosophy means as it is being read. I doubt it but never sell one of these birds short because one day they will surprise you.

Curtis
Back to top Go down
http://b1rdman.wordpress.com/

Is a parrot enlightened?
Page 1 of 1