Panendeism.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reincarnation from a Panpsychist viewpoint.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

Reincarnation from a Panpsychist viewpoint. Empty
PostSubject: Reincarnation from a Panpsychist viewpoint.   Reincarnation from a Panpsychist viewpoint. Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2007 5:48 pm

I thought that this was a cool way of looking at an "afterlife".

Quote :
What Happens When We Die?
Q: What happens to consciousness when the body dies? How does panpsychism address the issue of reincarnation?

From the perspective of panpsychism, reincarnation is part of the cosmic “recycling” program.

There’s good news and bad news regarding death and consciousness: Good: Consciousness survives bodily death. Bad: “My” or “your” consciousness does not survive as an individual self. It gets “redistributed.”

Reincarnation means, literally, “re-embodied.” That’s what happens to the “stuff” of our bodies. After death, our cells break down into their constituent molecules, and these get taken up into the bodies of other sentient beings (e.g., plants, other animals, including human animals).

This is where it gets interesting . . . You may be familiar with the “Conservation of Energy Law” in physics. In essence, it states that energy is never created nor destroyed. In other words, the total amount of energy in the universe remains constant. All that ever happens is that the forms of energy change and transmute.

Well, in panpsychism, there is a similar “law” we could call the “Law of Conservation of Experience.” This states that experience is never destroyed. (Note it doesn’t say that experience is never created, and for a very good reason: the very essence of experience is creativity. Every moment, a new experience is created for every sentient being. At every moment, you and I (and all the countless gazillions of other sentient beings) are having new experiences. So, experiences are always being created, but no experience is ever destroyed (where would it go?).

Every organism (such as the human body) is composed of a hierarchy of different levels of other organisms (cells, molecules, atoms, etc.). And every experience that happens at every level of the organism is recorded holographically in every other constituent. This means that every experience that you or I have ever had is recorded in every cell of our body, in every molecule, and every atom. When we die, and our molecules get redistributed, our experiences, recorded in those molecules, also get recycled.

Statistically, it is a near certainty that just about every human being walking the planet today has at least one molecule in his or her body from just about any other human (or, indeed, other animal) in history. So, everyone of us is, in some real sense, a reincarnation of the entire living system of this planet (and perhaps beyond).

You can read the rest here...
http://www.deepspirit.com/sys-tmpl/whathappenswhenwedie/
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Beowulf

Beowulf

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2007-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Reincarnation from a Panpsychist viewpoint.   Reincarnation from a Panpsychist viewpoint. Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2007 7:37 pm

BS:
Quote :
Every organism (such as the human body) is composed of a hierarchy of different levels of other organisms (cells, molecules, atoms, etc.). And every experience that happens at every level of the organism is recorded holographically in every other constituent. This means that every experience that you or I have ever had is recorded in every cell of our body, in every molecule, and every atom. When we die, and our molecules get redistributed, our experiences, recorded in those molecules, also get recycled.

This is a worthwhile thought:
Quote :
My” or “your” consciousness does not survive as an individual self. It gets “redistributed.”
Absolutely: read any good book, or listen to a song for immediate proof of this.
Or think about people you have known (who were worth knowing.)
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Reincarnation from a Panpsychist viewpoint.   Reincarnation from a Panpsychist viewpoint. Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 10:41 am

Does "BS:" mean you think it's bull shit or where you refering to something else? Smile
Back to top Go down
Beowulf

Beowulf

PostSubject: Re: Reincarnation from a Panpsychist viewpoint.   Reincarnation from a Panpsychist viewpoint. Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 2:38 pm

Quote :
BS: Bad Science. Boring Speculation. Bibulous Stink. Bile and Spleen. Beowulf's Spit.
Whatever you think is appropriate.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Reincarnation from a Panpsychist viewpoint.   Reincarnation from a Panpsychist viewpoint. Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 3:05 pm

Oh, ok... Thanks for the clarification. Smile
Back to top Go down
Beowulf

Beowulf

PostSubject: Re: Reincarnation from a Panpsychist viewpoint.   Reincarnation from a Panpsychist viewpoint. Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 3:50 pm

Beer Smart. Bible Studies. Biblical Science. Brain Shutdown. Blatantly Stupefying. Best Silent.
Back to top Go down
Travis Clementsmith
Admin
Travis Clementsmith

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2007-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Reincarnation from a Panpsychist viewpoint.   Reincarnation from a Panpsychist viewpoint. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2007 1:07 am

I'd have to say that viewpoint is very compatible with my own.

-TC
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Reincarnation from a Panpsychist viewpoint.   Reincarnation from a Panpsychist viewpoint. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2007 11:19 am

Beowulf wrote:
Beer Smart. Bible Studies. Biblical Science. Brain Shutdown. Blatantly Stupefying. Best Silent.

Got it... Smile

It's actually not as hair brained as it may seem at first glance. It's a variation on the "butterfly effect". All of our actions and experiences effect not only everything else in the outside world but also within our inside world as well. The effects will be minimal but they will exist.

Last edited by on Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Reincarnation from a Panpsychist viewpoint.   Reincarnation from a Panpsychist viewpoint. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2007 11:20 am

Travis Clementsmith wrote:
I'd have to say that viewpoint is very compatible with my own.

-TC

I thought so... Smile
Back to top Go down
Beowulf

Beowulf

PostSubject: Re: Reincarnation from a Panpsychist viewpoint.   Reincarnation from a Panpsychist viewpoint. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2007 12:15 pm

Quote :
Got it...
I got more if needed.... I am like a 8 year old boy with bs idea....

To counter you assertion: The BS part is a homeopathic notion. Which I reject as pseudo science.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Reincarnation from a Panpsychist viewpoint.   Reincarnation from a Panpsychist viewpoint. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2007 2:56 pm

Beowulf wrote:
To counter you assertion:

It was actually the author's assertion. I was just trying to explain it in a different way. I think it's a neat idea but I'm not totally sold on it yet.

Beowulf wrote:
The BS part is a homeopathic notion. Which I reject as pseudo science.

I can see how you could see it as a "homeopathic notion" but the resemblance is only superficial.

The idea is based on the living systems theory of James G. Miller. Miller divided systems into two main categories: natural systems and man-made systems. The two basic subcategories of natural systems are: physical systems and living systems. Physical systems include such examples as:
    Stellar systems: galaxies, solar systems, and so on;
    Geological systems: rivers, mountain ranges, and so on; and
    Molecular systems: complex organizations of atoms.

Miller thought that molecules have memory because they are systems that are arranged in complex feedback loops. It's these complex feedback loops that give molecules their unique characteristics.
Back to top Go down
Beowulf

Beowulf

PostSubject: Re: Reincarnation from a Panpsychist viewpoint.   Reincarnation from a Panpsychist viewpoint. Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2007 3:44 pm

Ok, I can agree with some of this. The point of the homeopathic atom was absurd. The idea of a molecule with 'memory' or complex information content is not only a good idea but proven by DNA. But you ain't gonna get much info stored on a hydrogen molecule. A couple of bits worth at most.

That is probably why Helium says he is Beyond Hydrogen. So we will instinctively assume he knows more than 2 bits.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reincarnation from a Panpsychist viewpoint.   Reincarnation from a Panpsychist viewpoint. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reincarnation from a Panpsychist viewpoint.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Panendeism.org :: General Discussions :: Open Discussion-
Jump to: