Panendeism.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mindfulness

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

Mindfulness Empty
PostSubject: Mindfulness   Mindfulness Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 10:38 pm

Wikipedia says...

Quote :
Mindfulness is mental state, characterized by calm awareness of one's body functions, feelings, content of consciousness, or consciousness itself.

Does anyone practice mindfulness and if so what have your experiences with it been like?
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Mindfulness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mindfulness   Mindfulness Icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 10:01 pm

I used to try to practice at least once a day but I've been too busy lately and frankly I just usually forget to.

IMO it is a worthwhile practice if you can find a way to do it that works for you.
Back to top Go down
michael1111

michael1111

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2007-06-22

Mindfulness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mindfulness   Mindfulness Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 1:48 am

i think i have felt this way but never really put a word to it. it wasn't a practice either...maybe i was just zoning out? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Mindfulness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mindfulness   Mindfulness Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 9:06 am

Yeah I used to do that all the time as a kid. We had a small swamp in the back yard and I used to spend hours looking in the water trying to catch fish, frogs, and polliwogs. At times I would be in such a deep state of concentration and awareness that it would feel like an out of body experience.
Back to top Go down
Ninah

Ninah

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2007-09-07

Mindfulness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mindfulness   Mindfulness Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 7:27 pm

I go gor relaxing meditations myself. Even when I was doing Yoga, there was no sense of exerting myself. You can't stretch those tight muscles in an instant - you just move gently into a position and hold it, stretching slowly. Some people prefer a more exerting practice, but I'm going with my own flow.

The thing is, you've got to do your private meditation alone sometimes for many years before you can start meditating while doing other things. Just like your muscles gradually stretch and your body gradually heals - your spirit gradually expands.

I don't quite understand people who wish to sit alone in meditation for hours at a time.
Back to top Go down
Yaakov

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-03-28

Mindfulness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mindfulness   Mindfulness Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 2:56 am

I try mindfulness several times a day,usually when I am doing a task I dislike.It takes my mind off the fact that I dislike it!:-)LOL!
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Mindfulness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mindfulness   Mindfulness Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 9:41 am

Ninah wrote:
The thing is, you've got to do your private meditation alone sometimes for many years before you can start meditating while doing other things. Just like your muscles gradually stretch and your body gradually heals - your spirit gradually expands.

I think people try too hard. IMO it's not really that hard to just focus on the present... at least for short stretches of time.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Mindfulness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mindfulness   Mindfulness Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 9:43 am

Yaakov wrote:
I try mindfulness several times a day,usually when I am doing a task I dislike.It takes my mind off the fact that I dislike it!:-)LOL!

Actually I do the same thing. Like the other day in the dentist chair. It doesn't seem to make much sense though. You'd think you'd want to be thinking of anything but the present in those situations.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mindfulness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mindfulness   Mindfulness Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mindfulness
Page 1 of 1