Panendeism.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Throw Out Fifty Things

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

Throw Out Fifty Things Empty
PostSubject: Throw Out Fifty Things   Throw Out Fifty Things Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 3:49 pm

I find this new movement kind of interesting and I guess spring is as good a time as any to do it.

http://www.amazon.com/Throw-Out-Fifty-Things-Clutter/dp/044650579X

Throw Out Fifty Things: Clear the Clutter, Find Your Life

Throw Out Fifty Things 516cSbT2O2L._SL500_AA240_

Quote :
Throw out fifty things? That sounds easy until you understand that your whole magazine collection counts as one, your dried up nail polish bottles that clutter up a whole shelf also count as one, your sock drawer filled with miss matched socks and single gloves, yep you guessed it, one. However room through room the articles add up as you go from bedroom, to bathroom, living room, dining room and finally to the horrors of your attic and garage.

This is a new approach in that it doesn't just stop there. Gail Blanke, a life coach and internationally known motivational speaker takes you through all four stages in which you release yourself from more and more stuff that really making you feel heavier. Her four parts are: Getting Rid of the Physical Stuff, Your office Pairing Down the Professional Clutter, Attacking Mental Mess, and Stepping into the Clearing. The first two are possessions, the second two stages are getting rid of unwanted mental mess or feelings, labels and poor self image.

Her main slogan throughout Throw Out Fifty Things is: if it doesn't make you feel good, get rid of it. I was a little shocked the first time that she mentioned that you don't need to go on value, worth or purpose, that even if you use it-and yet it makes you cringe, get rid of it! That is different than where I was thinking this all would go. I am very practical, and I have never thought that things that have no purpose should remain to collect dust while things that you use (even if you hate them) should be gotten rid of, but I see the logic in it after reading this book. That you should surround yourself with pleasing environments, places and rooms that you enjoy, that you want to be in, and clothes that you feel good when you wear.

After just looking at the title, I was nervous that she wanted people to actually 'throw out' all the stuff. But that is really not what Gail intends, she makes sure that you understand that you should only actually throw away things that are broken, useless, or something to which pieces or parts are missing. The rest of the stuff can go to someone else who will love it, to a secondhand store, or you could resell it to get some of your money back. I appreciated her practical take on that. And throughout the book Gail Blanke makes it a point to discuss green methods of discarding pait, batteries, an old AC, and other such toxic waste items.

What did I get out of it? Well, I got the crazy urge to clean my house and get rid of things that I had been holding on to for no reason other than that I didn't know what to do with them (or felt guilted into holding on to!!!). Gail mentions that if it is a very hard decision, that means you just need to get rid of it, and that most of the time we don't get rid of stuff, but we just move it around our homes and garages. That rang a bell with me, we have been shuffling junk for SO LONG! I am in the 'get it out of here' mode and now I know how to attack the problem thanks to Throw Out Fifty Things by Gail Blanke. It sure does make me feel a lot better inside when I get my junk out the door. This was a very helpful, and practical guide to getting rid of things. If you want to throw out your junk but can't seem to figure out the practical aspects of the process, or just aren't motivated to do it, read this!
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Helium

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2007-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Throw Out Fifty Things   Throw Out Fifty Things Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 2:13 am

Can't judge the book from just those few graphs.

But certainly there is a point to be made about the things you possess, the things you want to possess and the relative merits they may add or subtract to your life.

Whether she would address this issue in a way that would strike a chord with me, I can't really tell from the review.

But I do appreciate the point being raised in the first place, if you know what I mean.
Back to top Go down
Paul Anthony

Paul Anthony

Number of posts : 253
Registration date : 2007-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Throw Out Fifty Things   Throw Out Fifty Things Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 1:40 am

I've started packing, in preparation for a long-overdue move from the apartment I've lived in for the past ten years and into a house I'm buying.

First, I tossed out (or otherwise disposed of) the things I really didn't need or want. After figuratively patting myself on the back for having so little junk in the first place, I started packing up the "non-essentials" - the things that I wanted to keep, but that I could easily live without for the next few weeks.

Imagine my surprise when I ran out of boxes - twice - before that task was completed. Then escrow was delayed, and I found that I could still live comfortably with all those things I was sure I needed, stashed out of reach.

Now, I'm wondering if I own my possessions or if they own me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.voltairepress.com
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Throw Out Fifty Things   Throw Out Fifty Things Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 9:29 am

My wife and I went through a similar process when we moved a few years ago. I think very often our stuff owns us more than we own it. The thing that amazed me was how much stuff we had to move even after we went through the process of getting rid of stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Helium

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2007-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Throw Out Fifty Things   Throw Out Fifty Things Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 11:41 pm

Yeah, the thing that has kind been bothering me about this recesion/depression is the ubiquotous advice to spend, spend, spend. Why, why, why. I've got enough things to keep me amused for a few lifetimes (it's not that I have lot, rather that I'm easily amused cheers )

Good luck on the move PA. I'll help ya if ya send the plane fare, and stock the fridge with beer and don't require me to life anything too heavy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Throw Out Fifty Things   Throw Out Fifty Things Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Throw Out Fifty Things
Page 1 of 1