Panendeism.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Post-Modernism?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

Post-Modernism? Empty
PostSubject: Post-Modernism?   Post-Modernism? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 10:27 am

Post-Modernism is a word that's used an awful lot but it's not a word that's easy to pin down to any one definition.

I was wondering what you think the main defining feature of Post-Modernism is and do you feel that it has been of any use to society?
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Uriah

Uriah

Number of posts : 536
Registration date : 2007-10-11

Post-Modernism? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post-Modernism?   Post-Modernism? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 12:31 pm

I would say the main defining feature of Post-Modernism is its skeptical regard of, and general lack of confidence in, all the social institutions - read: memes - of Western Culture.

I would also say that it has been extremely useful, in fact I think the disillusionment at the base of Post-Modernity is what allowed the counter cultures of the 60's to flourish, it burgeoned the Civil Rights movement, and even though it produced some ugly design, in the realm or architecture it allowed for people like Buckminster Fuller to come tot eh fore, it also paved the way for Green, Environmentally friendly, design concepts.

I think the Environmentalist movement as whole is perhaps Post-Modernism's clearest offspring.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

Post-Modernism? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post-Modernism?   Post-Modernism? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 9:11 pm

Good answer and I pretty much agree although I do like some Post-Modernist architects like Philip Johnson (ATT Headquarters, NY), Robert Venturi, and Michael Graves. I was never much of a fan of Brutalism or Deconstructivism however.
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Sponsored content

Post-Modernism? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Post-Modernism?   Post-Modernism? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Post-Modernism?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Panendeism.org :: General Discussions :: Open Discussion-
Jump to: