Panendeism.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Value of Art?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

The Value of Art? Empty
PostSubject: The Value of Art?   The Value of Art? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 2:34 pm

I was just reading that the Puritan community in 17th century America looked down upon art because they believed it drew the faithful away from God, and if away from God, then it could only lead to the devil.

What do you think about art? Do you think that art holds any value? If so, to whom and why?
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Paul Anthony

Paul Anthony

Number of posts : 253
Registration date : 2007-10-07

The Value of Art? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Value of Art?   The Value of Art? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 6:40 pm

Art (and music) are alternate methods of expression, necessary because words are insufficient to describe some emotions. If art leads people away from God, language (which was created by Man) must be equally dangerous!

Just to be safe, Puritans should shut up. Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.voltairepress.com
Beowulf

Beowulf

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2007-05-26

The Value of Art? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Value of Art?   The Value of Art? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 7:30 pm

Quote :
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn Nobel Lecture:

Section 5 para 4:

“...literature becomes the living memory of a nation. It sustains within itself and safeguards a nation’s bygone history---in a form which cannot be distorted or falsified. In this way does literature together with language preserve the national soul.”

By Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn Nobel Lecture.

substitute Art for literature....we're talking the same thing.
Back to top Go down
The Paineful Truth

The Paineful Truth

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2007-09-19

The Value of Art? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Value of Art?   The Value of Art? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 7:36 pm

Quote :
Just to be safe, Puritans should shut up. Very Happy

I'd include anyone who speaks for God, or follows anyone who says he does. I realize I'm not maintaining the level of humor, but what're you gonna do.

Art, according to my veritological studies, is the vehicle for pure subjective Truth. With it we are free from responsibility, morality and gravity, but if we never leave that realm, we cannot maintain our sanity. But art's value is that it works on the emotions and can reach those where reason won't. To quote from V for Vendetta, "Artists use lies to tell the truth, while politicians use them to cover the truth up."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Value of Art? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Value of Art?   The Value of Art? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Value of Art?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Panendeism.org :: General Discussions :: Open Discussion-
Jump to: