Panendeism.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hegel

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

Hegel Empty
PostSubject: Hegel   Hegel Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 8:28 am

I'm talking about Georg Wilhelm Friedrich. I'm wondering if anyone here has directly read or at least read about Hegel and if so what is your take on his contribution to philosophy? Do you think he had any valid points?

I've got my own (non-expert) ideas on the subject that I'd like to share but I'd like to read some other people's takes on his work first.
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Uriah

Uriah

Number of posts : 536
Registration date : 2007-10-11

Hegel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hegel   Hegel Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 12:37 pm

I think Hegel's metaphysical ideas lend themselves quite easily to Pandendeism as they contain the suggestion that there is an implicit teleological design to the cosmos. In terms of modern philosophy Hegel is very important if only for being a whipping-boy for the modern materialists who emerged to rule the mainstream Western philosophical discourse for the last 100 years (or so). The validity of his metaphysical ideas in circles of modern academic philosophy is actually regaining some support, especially as ideas such as Panpsychism gain popularity.

To answer your question: Yes, I do think he had (and still has) valid points. The most important being the idea that God itself (whatever it may be, and Hegel is never exact on this, on purpose I suspect) is an evolving consciousness. Tied to this is the idea (only now regaining serious academic attention) that consciousness is an integral aspect of the cosmos (see Panpsychism).
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

Hegel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hegel   Hegel Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 6:47 pm

It's been a while but I've read some of Hegel's lectures and they're almost unintelligible. His more formal writings, especially his earlier work, tends to be somewhat easier to understand. The thing about Hegel's work that stands out most, at least form me, is his concept of Reason (capital "R"). According to his metaphysical model Reason is a thing and not just an action. Not only that but Reason is the thing that shapes reality. (Similar to Gnomon's enformationalism theory).

In the context of Deism this is important because it elevates the status of Reason from the sacred to the divine. Reason is similar to "the way" in Taoism or consciousness is Panpsychism. It's literally Spirit is action.

P.S. I happen to like Proto-panpsychism myself. I think it has a little less of an Animistic connotation to it.
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Sponsored content

Hegel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hegel   Hegel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hegel
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Panendeism.org :: General Discussions :: Open Discussion-
Jump to: