Panendeism.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Society of Esseans International

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

Society of Esseans International Empty
PostSubject: Society of Esseans International   Society of Esseans International Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 11:08 am

I spotted this on another forum and thought it was interesting.

ahualoa wrote:
[My summary of the basic perspective held by Esseans (Society of Esseans International) or Esse simplified]

Esse ("that which truly exists") defines cosmic reality as the interstellar presence whose activity generates an environment of perceived material forms. This tri-part premise can be visualized in the following manner:

The cosmos is like an infinite ocean whose water is in constant motion. Its currents interact with one another as they traverse that cosmic ocean. This interaction produces changes that provide contrasts between past and present states of activity. These contrasts are the essence of experience.

Picture the material realm as a collection of eddies. When those eddies come in contact with each other and in contact with other currents, each changes as a result of that contact. Each now evolves a new state of being different from its former state. If because of its greater complexity, an eddy retains an impression of its former state and an impression of its new state, that eddy develops an awareness of change. Thus, it becomes aware of its experience and aware of its environment. If the complexity of its being permits it to accumulate these awarenesses, it evolves a sense of self as being different from the rest of its environment.

At our essence, each of us is a complex collection of eddies (subatomic activity) functioning cohesively within our human forms. Our cells are made up of molecules that consist of atoms. In turn, those atoms are made up of infinitely smaller particles that we can describe best as no more than particular activities occurring within a given region of interstellar space. We view ourselves as separate entities because no perceivable tangible forms exist between our bodies and the other perceivable aspects of the material realm. Just as we no not see the air that exists between our eyes and the words on this page, we do not perceive the existence of the spatial fabric between our bodies and the other seemingly separate objects of the environment even though that spatial fabric is a maelstrom of activity. The electromagnetic fields we have detected and now utilize are evident proof of this. However, because of the bulk of spatial activity rests beyond the grasp of our native senses, we erroneously conclude our environment is made up of separate "things". Like two eddies observing each other within an ocean and not being aware of the water or the majority of its currents, we conclude that we are isolated beings.

Essentially, perception is the interaction between moving aspects of interstellar space (active fields of activity). It is an experience of change in a state of being and not a true reflection of that which truly exists. We sense the existence of a material thing because, in some way, its activity interacts with our own and effects changes within the activity that makes up our bodies. For example, a portion of the light spectrum reflects off an object and alters the activity of the cells leading from the eyes to the brain. Thus, we claim to "see" that object when, in reality, we only interact with the narrow portion of the light spectrum that object does not absorb. However, these illusionary perceptions allow us to function within our environment in a manner that permits us to survive. The same can be said of all our senses. They are attuned to that portion o interstellar activity critical to our continued existence, providing an awareness of only a small fraction of the cosmic realm.

Indeed, we are patterns of spatial activity - no more and no less. However, our senses delude us and lead us to believe otherwise. They provide no more than a functional grasp of reality, prompting us to view ourselves as isolated material entities, living within an infinite void populated by separate material things. Yet, as our sciences are beginning to reveal, the opposite is true. Interstellar space embraces a uniformity that envelops everything we know to exist. If we carefully analyze the cosmos, we must concede that the material realm with which we are familiar exists as no more than activity functioning within the fabric of interstellar space. To assert any other premise leaves us with the irreconcilable conundrum of explaining how that cosmic activity can exist and thrive in an absolute "void". Logic should lead us to conclude that interstellar space is an active medium, albeit one we cannot detect. It is the cosmic "water" that we, like fish, swim about in; and, just as the fish detect the water's movement but not the substance of the water, we have no perception of interstellar space except by contrasting it with the things we do experience. According, interstellar space appears to be the absence of perceived things that exists between those perceived things. Therefore, we label it a "void". Just as logic prompts us to accept phenomena we cannot perceive naturally (atoms, particles, electromagnetic radiation, et al), it should render the plausibility of a medium that even our finest instruments cannot reveal. Modern science is founded upon similar postulations. Why not accept the possibility of an infinite medium as the foundation of the entire material realm?

From the perspective of Esse, the cosmos is an infinite presence whose perpetual activity gives rise to experience of tangible forms. The atheist can accept this premise as the basis of Nature while the deist may choose to define it as God. The selective perspective is irrelevant for Esse represents that which truly exists. Reality cannot be dissected further. Only the mechanisms of that reality are left to be explained.

Opinions anyone?
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Gnomon

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2007-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Society of Esseans International   Society of Esseans International Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 11:59 pm

Quote :
From the perspective of Esse, the cosmos is an infinite presence whose perpetual activity gives rise to experience of tangible forms. The atheist can accept this premise as the basis of Nature while the deist may choose to define it as God. The selective perspective is irrelevant for Esse represents that which truly exists. Reality cannot be dissected further. Only the mechanisms of that reality are left to be explained.
Interesting, but perplexing. Is this a group that claims a historical or philosophical connection with the Essenes of Jesus' time? If so, that sect of the Jews is suspected of influencing Jesus in his "restoration/revolution" of Judaism. I have never seen the name spelled that way, but it suggests an etymology related to the Latin "esse", meaning "to be".

The "interstellar presence" sounds more Pantheistic than Panentheistic.

The postulation of "eddies" becoming self-aware, sounds similar to my imaginary hypothesis of Information waves interacting as crests and troughs (positives and negatives), reinforcing or canceling each other to form sub-atomic matter and antimatter. Eventually these dimensionless points in space coalesce into the macro-scale matter, energy and mind that we are familiar with. However, I would feel silly trying to explain such a far-out speculation to the average man on the street---or to a particle physicist for that matter.

"We are patterns of spatial activity" also sounds compatible with the Enformationism thesis; although I call that activity "In-form-action".

In general, this excerpt reminds me of the Everything Forever book : "interstellar space is an active medium"; "the cosmos is an infinite presence".

Fringey discussions like this tend to sound weird and cultish. That's why I am hesitant to broadcast some of my own cosmological musings in public. I don't want to be hunted-down by peasants bearing torches and pitch-forks. Also, I'm not fond of wearing sack-cloth robes with a spooky, suffocating cowl. Suspect
Back to top Go down
http://www.enformationism.info/
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Society of Esseans International   Society of Esseans International Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 9:31 pm

I know what you mean. Smile

I found this website.
http://free-esse.webs.com/

And this little book.
http://free-esse.webs.com/publications/The_Answers_to_Everything.pdf
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Gnomon

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2007-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Society of Esseans International   Society of Esseans International Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 4:23 pm

Quote :
Excerpt from Answers to Everything :

<< Assuming the existence of a cosmic God (or Nature) as previously described does not change radically the concept of religion but merely modifies the way we relate to that universal divine. Instead of being subservient to some distant entity, we are intrinsic aspects of the concept we embrace. We are functioning elements of universal existence; thus, we are, in our essence, also divine. There is no real separation between ourselves and the cosmos. We are, in fact, one.>>

I have just skimmed over the Essean website, and it seems to be generally compatible with the worldview of Panendeism. For example, the quote above indicates that the traditional religious concept of God as something to fear and worship should be "modified" by our modern understanding of how the universe works. In other words, it suggests a gradual evolution of our collective knowledge and practice of religion, as opposed to the dramatic revolution proposed by Atheism.

The Creator of the universe may not be so scary anymore, but s/he is still mysterious. Cosmic Mystery should be approached with caution, but not with fear and trepidation. I plan to investigate the Essean Society with interest, but also with an appropriate degree of skepticism. I am constantly amazed at the variety of non-traditional worldviews out there in cyberspace. Yet many of them, while seeming to be rational and sensible, also show signs of the seeds of a personality cult. The name, "Essean Society", appeals to me on an intellectual level, but the true essence of the society remains to be seen on the practical plane.
Back to top Go down
http://www.enformationism.info/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Society of Esseans International   Society of Esseans International Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Society of Esseans International
Page 1 of 1