Panendeism.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How my Theological Framework affects my Worldview

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

How my Theological Framework affects my Worldview Empty
PostSubject: How my Theological Framework affects my Worldview   How my Theological Framework affects my Worldview Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 4:22 pm

This is from David Pyle's blog. I thought it was an interesting question and an interesting response.

Quote :
The following is a part of the pre-writing for a course entitled “Congregation as Learning Community” taught by Dr. Mark Hicks. The assignment was to define how your theological/philosphical framework affects your worldview, in a paragraph. Below is my attempt:

I understand God as totality consisting of eternity inclusive of time conceived as a realm of meaning. God is manifested though the interconnections and interdependent reality in which we are a part. Therefore, God is ever-learning and ever-changing, as we are ever-learning and ever-changing. Humanity is that part of the totality that is God that has the ability to be aware of the interconnections between all and to conceive of the whole. We experience God through transcending wonder, love, and awe for the whole and its parts. There is no duality in God, and all discreteness is based in human perception, not divine reality. The deeper one realizes that discreteness is human perception, the deeper one connects with all that exists. This connection is communion with the divine. As such, my worldview is of a deeply interconnected world in which much of what exists cannot be immediately perceived; in which truth is forever deepening; and in which one’s own understanding can never be more than a humble shadow of the reality which is all and which is God. My universe is one of never ending wonder and mystery.

Yours in Faith,

David
http://celestiallands.org/wayside/?p=142

I'll try and revisit this topic later and take a stab at the answering the question myself.
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Helium

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2007-09-14

PostSubject: Re: How my Theological Framework affects my Worldview   How my Theological Framework affects my Worldview Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 10:11 pm

yeah, ditto with me. Interesting stuff.
Back to top Go down
Gnomon

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2007-09-30

PostSubject: Re: How my Theological Framework affects my Worldview   How my Theological Framework affects my Worldview Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 5:16 pm

Quote :
The assignment was to define how your theological/philosphical framework affects your worldview, in a paragraph.

Actually, as an individual, my philosophical framework IS my worldview. However, the details of my worldview have gradually changed over the years, as my old theological foundation crumbled away, and some new philosophical material began to fill-in the cracks.

As my scientific and philosophical understanding broadens and deepens, my comprehensive worldview also expands. Currently, my practical worldview is very similar to the old philosophical concept of Deism. But the "framework" of Deism is also evolving, so I have to run fast, just to stay in the same place where I have always been---relative to the Eternal.
Back to top Go down
http://www.enformationism.info/
Wandered Off

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2007-10-22

PostSubject: Re: How my Theological Framework affects my Worldview   How my Theological Framework affects my Worldview Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 5:35 pm

Just checking in on some old friends from the DD days, and I ran across this. David's post is in some ways parallel to the shift I have had since then, but in a slightly different direction. Some of you might find this from Bishop Don Cupitt interesting:
Quote :
God is the sum of our values, representing to us their ideal unity, their claims upon us and their creative power. ... Just as you should not think of justice and truth as independent beings, so you should not think of God as an objectively existing superperson. That is a mythological and confusing way of thinking. The truth, we now see, is that the idea of God is imperative, not indicative. To speak of God is to speak about the moral and spiritual goals we ought to be aiming at, and about what we ought to become. ... The true God is not God as picturesque supernatural fact, but God as our religious ideal.
In an innocuous sense, all our normative ideas have been posited by ourselves, including the truths of logic and mathematics as well as all our ideals and values. How else could we have acquired them? Thus God is humanly made only in the non-startling sense that everything is. That is modern anthropocentrism. But even on my account God is as real for us as anything else can be, and more primally authoritative than anything else is.
...all the doctrines of faith are not indicatives but symbol-clad imperatives; so that the doctrine of resurrection, for example, does not promise another life hereafter but tells us how to live now a new life that has left the fear of death behind. Rightly understood, the doctrine is not a set of supernatural facts that generate the ethic and the spirituality: the doctrine just is the ethic and the spirituality, with no gap between.
To me, it makes much more sense to view God the same way we view concepts like infinity, bliss, perfection - or truth (Hi PT!) - ideals toward which we strive. This is the meaning we can derive from otherwise empty or contradictory concepts like omnipotence, omnibenevolence, and similar terms theists use to describe God.

Clearly this is not panendeism. "Theological nonrealism" is the term he uses, but the parallels are interesting.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: How my Theological Framework affects my Worldview   How my Theological Framework affects my Worldview Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 5:51 pm

Hey good to see you. Interesting.
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How my Theological Framework affects my Worldview   How my Theological Framework affects my Worldview Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Panendeism.org :: General Discussions :: Deism-
Jump to: