Panendeism.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Nondualism versus monism

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

Nondualism versus monism Empty
PostSubject: Nondualism versus monism   Nondualism versus monism Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 8:27 pm

This isn't a topic that normally comes up on deist forums but I thought I'd bring it up anyway. I thought that this was a good explaination of the difference between Monism and Nondualism.

Quote :
The Western philosophical concept monism is similar to nondualism. But monism holds that all phenomena are actually of the same substance. Nondualism proper, on the other hand, holds rather that different phenomena are inseparable or that there is no hard line between them, but that they are not the same. The distinction between these two types of views is considered critical in Zen, Madhyamika, and Dzogchen, all of which are nondualisms proper, whereas Advaita Hinduism is monist — it maintains that all phenomena are Brahman). Some later philosophical approaches also attempt to undermine traditional dichotomies, with the view they are fundamentally invalid or inaccurate. For example, one typical form of deconstruction is the critique of binary oppositions within a text while problematization questions the context or situation in which concepts such as dualisms occur.
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Cowboy

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Nondualism versus monism   Nondualism versus monism Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 9:48 am

Hello, New member here so I thought I'd attempt clarification, or at least communication.

"But monism holds that all phenomena are actually of the same substance."

What substance are we talking about? Is that referring to some form of physical substance, or a nonphysical substance (spirit), or the core unmanifest DNA that is the common denominator among all manifestations. It is a bit like our liver looking and acting sooo much different than our toe nail but they both have the physical DNA of the entire physical body. Are they separate or are they one?

The question of dualism is a question of vantage point. From our limited physical vantage point, everything is unique, but from the unmanifest vantage (isness pre contrast) everything expresses, experiences and is of the infinite isness.

Bill . . .
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Nondualism versus monism   Nondualism versus monism Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 10:01 am

Hi Bill and welcome. Smile

Cowboy wrote:
What substance are we talking about? Is that referring to some form of physical substance, or a nonphysical substance (spirit), or the core unmanifest DNA that is the common denominator among all manifestations. It is a bit like our liver looking and acting sooo much different than our toe nail but they both have the physical DNA of the entire physical body. Are they separate or are they one?

I think the article is referring to "substance monism" and "substance dualism". Some substance monists are materialists and others are idealists.

In both cases the substance monist believes that everything is ultimately either material or "ideal" (spirit, consciousness, etc.) and that everything else that appears separate or of a different type is just an illusion or at best an epiphenomenan.

A dualist believes that there are two ultimate types of substance that are fundamentally different.

Cowboy wrote:
The question of dualism is a question of vantage point. From our limited physical vantage point, everything is unique, but from the unmanifest vantage (isness pre contrast) everything expresses, experiences and is of the infinite isness.

Yes I pretty much agree and I think that's what non-dualism is all about.
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nondualism versus monism   Nondualism versus monism Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nondualism versus monism
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Panendeism.org :: Panendeism Discussions :: Integral Panendeism Forum-
Jump to: