Panendeism.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Evolution Debate

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Gnomon

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2007-09-30

Evolution Debate Empty
PostSubject: Evolution Debate   Evolution Debate Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 4:05 pm

FYI

The local newspaper reports on plans for a debate among "Christian scholars who favor varying views on creation and evolution". The speakers include some well-known "young earthers", "old earthers", and "intelligent designers". "We're turning our attention to the debate going on within the church."

The conference organizer noted, "In some ways, it's harder than getting Christians and atheists together." So Deists are not the only ones who occasionally enjoy a "robust exchange of ideas".

Evolution Debate :
http://blog.al.com/living-news/2011/06/birmingham_conference_opens_a.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.enformationism.info/
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

Evolution Debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evolution Debate   Evolution Debate Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2011 9:10 pm

I think that this sort of debate is a rarity in theist circles these days. It would be nice to hear about more of them.
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Gnomon

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2007-09-30

Evolution Debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evolution Debate   Evolution Debate Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 3:46 pm

In the debate following the debate, online responses to the article seemed to be overwhelmingly opposed to Biblical literalism*---not necessarily Atheist, but skeptical of scriptural "evidence" for "scientific" theology. The Answers in Genesis guy is well aware of the crux of the debate : do you believe God's Word, or God's World?

Example :
<< "If we accept millions of years of extinction and death before Adam and Eve were created, that becomes a huge theological problem" said the guy from Answers in Genesis.

LOL. So physics presents theological problems. Biology presents theological problems. Geology presents theological problems. When the facts of science that we use every day present theological problems, it's time to grow up and fix your theology. Some people believe the Hogwarts School of Wizardry and Witchcraft is a real place. We don't have to respect their beliefs, and we can treat those beliefs with scorn, derision and dismissal. And this is exactly how we should treat the beliefs of Biblical literalists who tell stories about baby dinosaurs on the Ark. Such stories go beyond childish are are simply asinine. The Bible is poetry, not journalism. >>

* Of course, the early responders may be members of the local Freethought Society, who are on the lookout for opportunities to counter theological illogic.
Back to top Go down
http://www.enformationism.info/
Ninah

Ninah

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2007-09-07

Evolution Debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evolution Debate   Evolution Debate Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2011 8:30 pm

Gnomon wrote:
In the debate following the debate, online responses to the article seemed to be overwhelmingly opposed to Biblical literalism*---not necessarily Atheist, but skeptical of scriptural "evidence" for "scientific" theology. The Answers in Genesis guy is well aware of the crux of the debate : do you believe God's Word, or God's World?

Example :
<< "If we accept millions of years of extinction and death before Adam and Eve were created, that becomes a huge theological problem" said the guy from Answers in Genesis.

LOL. So physics presents theological problems. Biology presents theological problems. Geology presents theological problems. When the facts of science that we use every day present theological problems, it's time to grow up and fix your theology. Some people believe the Hogwarts School of Wizardry and Witchcraft is a real place. We don't have to respect their beliefs, and we can treat those beliefs with scorn, derision and dismissal. And this is exactly how we should treat the beliefs of Biblical literalists who tell stories about baby dinosaurs on the Ark. Such stories go beyond childish are are simply asinine. The Bible is poetry, not journalism. >>

cheers

How refreshing. This is what I'm used to seeing from the bible crowd.

http://www.holylandexperience.com/
Back to top Go down
Mario35

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-01-07

Evolution Debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evolution Debate   Evolution Debate Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 8:23 am

I never had the luxury of debating evolution and creationism formally in high school. I have shut down friends before in personal arguments on the subject but I've always dreamed of debating that to the idiots at my school. Some of you may know of the organization, but there's a youth group in my area called YoungLife. I personally find it to be a cult. They give away free shit to the kids all the time which is plastered with their logo. Most of the kids I shut down in arguments are a part of that group. They don't even know jack shit about their "religion." They only go cause they think it's cool. Hipsters.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Evolution Debate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evolution Debate   Evolution Debate Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Evolution Debate
Page 1 of 1