Panendeism.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Honoring the Pigness of the Pig

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

Honoring the Pigness of the Pig Empty
PostSubject: Honoring the Pigness of the Pig   Honoring the Pigness of the Pig Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 10:00 pm

I belong to a golf league through where I work (actually it's more of a drinking league but that's beside the point) and I was talking to some golfing buddies about the fact that I just acquired some baby chickens. They looked at me like I was totally nuts. They couldn't understand why anyone would get chickens when you can just go to the supermarket and get a dozen for a buck fifty. I wasn't really sure how to respond. So I told them that they're good for the kids and that the eggs are much better than what you get at the supermarket.

But it's much more than that. Most of the cheap eggs that you can get on sale at the local supermarket come from factory farms. The chickens are usually kept in little cages their whole short life and many literally never see the light of day. That's no way for an animal to live a life IMO. I think this quote by alternative farmer Joel Salatin says it well.
Quote :
...We should... honor the creation that God made. It’s in respecting and honoring the pigness of the pig (or the chickeness of the chicken) that we create our ethical and moral background for respecting and honoring the Tony-ness of Tony and the Mary-ness of Mary. And so it’s how we respect and honor the “least of these” that creates a theological and philosophical framework for how we respect and honor the creation that God made.
(Joel Salatin, From an interview in Sojourners Magazine, December 2009)

So not only is their a practical component to it, but there's a spiritual and ethical component to it as well. Now don't get me wrong, I understand if raising chickens (or cattle or pigs or whatever) is not for you for one reason or another but don't begrudge others who are trying to do the right thing. Know what I mean?
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
michael1111

michael1111

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2007-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Honoring the Pigness of the Pig   Honoring the Pigness of the Pig Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 10:49 am

i think you're doing a noble thing.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Honoring the Pigness of the Pig   Honoring the Pigness of the Pig Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 10:51 pm

michael1111 wrote:
i think you're doing a noble thing.

Thanks Michael. I don't want to sound cheesy. I'm not attempting to find the sure for cancer or anything. I just wish people paid a little more attention to what's going on around them.
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Honoring the Pigness of the Pig   Honoring the Pigness of the Pig Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Honoring the Pigness of the Pig
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Panendeism.org :: General Discussions :: Science, Nature and Sustainable Living-
Jump to: