Panendeism.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is this forum too "high brow"

Go down 
+4
Thoreau
Travis Clementsmith
Beowulf
Aaron
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

Is this forum too "high brow" Empty
PostSubject: Is this forum too "high brow"   Is this forum too "high brow" Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2007 9:47 pm

Ginou got me thinking. Maybe the shit we post on this forum is just too "out there" for most people. Is there any way we can discuss this stuff in a way that's more accessible to the average Joe?

Should we care?
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Beowulf

Beowulf

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2007-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Is this forum too "high brow"   Is this forum too "high brow" Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2007 11:55 pm

Yes, this forum is a bit more theological than PD and much more than DD.

I view what is happening here as creating a destination. Deism itself is a process to find a destination (as Dave and Steve and Jay did). They still hold to the process but found something along the way that has their attention.

Too high brow? No. Obtuse? Yes. Part of it is trying to represent Theology in two dimensions. I think it is confusing. And I am not sure if I agree or even like the 'systems' description (I was a systems programmer so much of the terminology is familiar, some of the differences unpalatable. I ain’t looking for a fight, so I read ‘em and fergit ‘em.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Is this forum too "high brow"   Is this forum too "high brow" Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2007 11:59 am

Beowulf wrote:
Yes, this forum is a bit more theological than PD and much more than DD.

Yes, DD is getting out of hand. I think I'm going to have to start putting my foot down... either that or I'm going to jump ship.

Beowulf wrote:
I view what is happening here as creating a destination.

Interesting observation. I actually view what we're trying to do here as a narrowing of the process. Not nessarily a destination in itself.

Beowulf wrote:
Too high brow? No. Obtuse? Yes.

I would say that for many it's too high brow and for most it's too obtuse. I'm not really sure what, if anything, we can do about that or if we should even be worrying about it.

I would like to have a place to discuss spiritual issues (not just theology and metaphysics) from a Panen/Pandeist perspective. I think we used to have that at DD and for the most part we still do at PD although PD is a little more general.

Beowulf wrote:
Part of it is trying to represent Theology in two dimensions. I think it is confusing. And I am not sure if I agree or even like the 'systems' description (I was a systems programmer so much of the terminology is familiar, some of the differences unpalatable. I ain’t looking for a fight, so I read ‘em and fergit ‘em.

Yes there is a difference between information systems and "physical" systems. I personally like what I've read about general systems theory because it seems simple, elegant, and able to explain a wide range of phenomena. I'm still just exploring it right now however which is why I've been posting so much about it lately. I'd like to hear all the arguments for and against it.
Back to top Go down
Travis Clementsmith
Admin
Travis Clementsmith

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2007-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Is this forum too "high brow"   Is this forum too "high brow" Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2007 10:14 pm

Personally, I don't care. I think there ought to be a forum that does take it to another level. Think of it as the laboratory. Once we get something together, we can find a way to make it more digestable and present it on the other forums if we like. I think there are enough sub-forums for those that don't want to participate in some of the high-brow stuff. Of course, just my opinion.

-TC
Back to top Go down
Beowulf

Beowulf

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2007-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Is this forum too "high brow"   Is this forum too "high brow" Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2007 7:33 pm

It is neither "too High Brow" or "too Obtuse". I read the "too Obtuse" posts too, I just don't feel inclined to comment. This is not your everyday intro to panendeism or deism. That's fine with me. I hope others find it interesting too. You might say it moves me to think, not necessarily comment.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Is this forum too "high brow"   Is this forum too "high brow" Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 10:35 am

Fair enough... Smile
Back to top Go down
Thoreau

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Is this forum too "high brow"   Is this forum too "high brow" Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2008 1:24 pm

Any forum in which the "Big Questions" are contemplated is necessary and vital. Sometimes the conversation can seem high-brow, especially to those who choose to go through life as automatons and decline to ponder the Questions that have gripped mankind since we first began asking them.
That being said, some of the concepts discussed can seem rather esoteric to others unfamiliar with them. In those cases, the "obtuseness" might actually make it easier for some to participate. And, in my opinion, participation should be encouraged, regardless of a person's level of knowledge about related subjects. After all, the "Big Questions" are a human birthright.
Back to top Go down
Helium

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2007-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Is this forum too "high brow"   Is this forum too "high brow" Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2008 6:23 pm

I think I'm proof that the forum isn't too high brow lol! Cheers! Hello
Back to top Go down
The Paineful Truth

The Paineful Truth

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2007-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Is this forum too "high brow"   Is this forum too "high brow" Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2008 11:28 pm

Philosophy of any kind at any level is too high brow for most people who just want to have a good time. Jes' gotta' do what you thin' is right and stick to your guns.
Back to top Go down
stretmediq

stretmediq

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Is this forum too "high brow"   Is this forum too "high brow" Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 8:19 am

I think the fact you said "shit" in a post is proof that we have at least one foot on terra firma! Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.cafepress.com/newdeism
Schizophretard

Schizophretard

Number of posts : 380
Registration date : 2007-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Is this forum too "high brow"   Is this forum too "high brow" Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 8:50 am

I'm schizophretarded. High brow? My name says it all. geek
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/dayorder
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is this forum too "high brow"   Is this forum too "high brow" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is this forum too "high brow"
Page 1 of 1