Panendeism.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Goals

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ninah

Ninah

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2007-09-07

Goals Empty
PostSubject: Goals   Goals Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 8:33 pm

I wanted to get your feedback on this.......

I'm working on a creative project right now - nothing to do with my career where I have to fulfill my employer's wishes on a deadline to earn $$$$.

I've just found that if I think too much about what my final goal is, it stifles my creativity. Like..... What will become of the finished project and how will others respond to it?
If I don't think about any particular goal, the project just seems to take on a life of its own and leads me down paths to other goals I might not have considered.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Have you had this happen?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Gnomon

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2007-09-30

Goals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Goals   Goals Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 5:16 pm

Quote :
I've just found that if I think too much about what my final goal is, it stifles my creativity.

Many creative concepts are found while looking for something else. For motivation you must have some kind of goal in mind, but it may not be where you finally end-up. Unfocused daydreaming is fine, but it works best when it follows or precedes attention to a specific problem. It's usually best to set a general destination, and then enjoy the journey, with little side trips from time to time.

Creative work often looks aimless to those who are accustomed to having others set their goals and paths for them. Creativity thrives on accidents and serendipity. So, go for it; but make sure the boss is not looking. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.enformationism.info/
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

Goals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Goals   Goals Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 9:09 pm

I find that it's helps to have some kind of a loose framework to work within but have some wiggle room within that framework for creativity. That way there is some structure to keep the ball moving forward but things aren't too constricting either.
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Ninah

Ninah

Goals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Goals   Goals Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 10:14 am

Gnomon wrote:
Quote :
I've just found that if I think too much about what my final goal is, it stifles my creativity.

Many creative concepts are found while looking for something else. For motivation you must have some kind of goal in mind, but it may not be where you finally end-up. Unfocused daydreaming is fine, but it works best when it follows or precedes attention to a specific problem. It's usually best to set a general destination, and then enjoy the journey, with little side trips from time to time.

Creative work often looks aimless to those who are accustomed to having others set their goals and paths for them. Creativity thrives on accidents and serendipity. So, go for it; but make sure the boss is not looking. Smile

Exactly. Smile
Back to top Go down
thr4im

thr4im

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-10-22

Goals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Goals   Goals Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 11:46 am

Ninah wrote:
I wanted to get your feedback on this.......

I'm working on a creative project right now - nothing to do with my career where I have to fulfill my employer's wishes on a deadline to earn $$$$.

I've just found that if I think too much about what my final goal is, it stifles my creativity. Like..... What will become of the finished project and how will others respond to it?
If I don't think about any particular goal, the project just seems to take on a life of its own and leads me down paths to other goals I might not have considered.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Have you had this happen?

Thanks.

In website design, I have to know what the goal is as far as function and what the client is needing the site to do when it is finished. As far as the actual graphic design part. I try not to over visualize what I "want" it to look like, rather, I try to remain open to what are called "happy accidents"; unintentional diversions or unexpected mistakes that often times lead to a much better result than trying to force a predetermined outcome.

What is the project about, Ninah? That is to say, why type?
Back to top Go down
Ninah

Ninah

Goals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Goals   Goals Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 4:43 pm

I work mainly with Photoshop for internet stuff or a word processor for my writing. You can see one of my band posters on this page:

http://www.waddywachtelinfo.com/images/graphics/poster11909flatborder.jpg

When I don't like the way a project is evolving I usually throw it in the back of a closet and start fresh. Takes less time than ripping it all out? And the evolution of any project isn't a problem for me. What I'm coming to is....... if I don't keep a specific goal in my mind, I can toss things out easily and let the next evolution begin. Know what I mean?
Back to top Go down
thr4im

thr4im

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-10-22

Goals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Goals   Goals Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 4:47 pm

Ninah wrote:
I work mainly with Photoshop for internet stuff or a word processor for my writing. You can see one of my band posters on this page:

http://www.waddywachtelinfo.com/images/graphics/poster11909flatborder.jpg

When I don't like the way a project is evolving I usually throw it in the back of a closet and start fresh. Takes less time than ripping it all out? And the evolution of any project isn't a problem for me. What I'm coming to is....... if I don't keep a specific goal in my mind, I can toss things out easily and let the next evolution begin. Know what I mean?

Cool! Nice work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Goals Empty
PostSubject: Re: Goals   Goals Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Goals
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Panendeism.org :: General Discussions :: Open Discussion-
Jump to: