Panendeism.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Value Voters Summit

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

Value Voters Summit Empty
PostSubject: Value Voters Summit   Value Voters Summit Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 9:55 pm

Why do Conservative Christians get the title of "value voters"?

Quote :
WASHINGTON -- Carrie Prejean wants you to know it hasn't been easy for her. None of this has been easy for her.

"There was something wrong with turning on the TV and seeing people mock me for my faith," the beauty queen-turned-conservative martyr told the Values Voter Summit, a right-wing confab organized by the Family Research Council's political action committee, FRC Action. "Seeing people make fun of me for being a Christian, trying to discredit me, trying to embarrass me -- it didn't make sense to me."

With big red, white and blue stars projected on the walls, and Jesus Christ being thanked by every other speaker, the summit is pitching itself as the last refuge for patriotic, God-fearing Americans in the age of Obama and his death panels. Prejean was the highlight of the Friday morning session, which also featured your standard-issue red meat speeches from GOP politicians like Eric Cantor and Mitch McConnell, and a healthcare "town hall" with House Republicans Michele Bachmann, Tom Price and Chris Smith. Prejean ushered the crowd off to lunch just now with a passionate recounting of how her dream of being Miss USA was derailed by her refusal to stand by and let the homosexual agenda ruin the world. (Hey, it makes a better motivational tale than the topless underwear photos do.)

Prejean, you may recall, finished as the runner-up in this year's pageant, possibly because of her answer to the question posed by judges at the end of the contest -- whether same-sex marriage should be legal. (An evangelical Christian, Prejean said she thought it was great that Americans could choose between "same-sex marriage or opposite marriage," but that marriage should be between a man and a woman.) Now instead of being Miss USA, she's hitting the conservative circuit, standing up for her beliefs and basking in the glow of adoring audiences like the one she found at the Values Voter Summit.

"The moment the judge asked it, I tried to stand there and look pretty, but in my head I could not believe that they were asking that question at Miss USA," she told the summit. "I could not believe it. I thought that it was extremely inappropriate for that venue." (That prompted a man in the crowd to holler out, "That's right!") "Any other venue it would have been all right," she said.

The question the judges were supposed to have asked, Prejean explained, would have called for a less complicated, less political answer -- like world peace. "What do they want to hear -- world peace," she said. "As soon as a woman doesn't give a 'world peace' answer, why is all of a sudden she all over national news, and it's this huge, huge controversy -- all because I said a marriage is between a man and a woman? Are you serious?"

Most of the rest of her 18-minute speech played to conservative resentment of the way it's so hard to be a Christian in America today. She was "disgusted" at how intolerant people can be, though that disgust doesn't appear to extend to her political comrades-in-arms who want to deny gays and lesbians the rights straight people take for granted. "I feel as though I'm Miss Universe," she said. "I am so proud of the stance that I took. I'm so proud of the answer that I gave, and God chose me for that moment. He chose me for that moment because he knew that I would not only be the one to stick up for him and for the truth, but also he knew that I am strong enough to get through all of the junk that I have been through."

But not so tough that Prejean didn't tear up briefly toward the end of her talk. "Even though," she began, pausing to grapple with her emotions. "Even though I didn't win the crown that night, I know that the Lord has so much of a bigger crown in heaven for me."

She brought the house down.
http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/feature/2009/09/18/values_voter/index.html?source=rss&aim=/politics/war_room/feature
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Uriah

Uriah

Number of posts : 536
Registration date : 2007-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Value Voters Summit   Value Voters Summit Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 10:41 am

Because they presume to vote on Values, however, those "values" are simply their Biases. Which makes them no different than anybody else who votes.

The problem with the Conservative right, as I see it, isn't that their "values" are so out of whack or wrong, because in the end they're not so incredibly bad. Rather, it's that they have made a conscious refusal to engage the evolving cultural matrix around them. Something like the Amish people, except less peaceful farming and more ignorant moral absolutisms.

The dangerous part is that without engaging and participating the changing world they will effectively isolate themselves and become a cultural doldrum of dogma and violent resistance to much more complex and increasingly alien world around them. Much like Wahabi Muslims.

Let's only hope that the Universe doesn't chance these folks with the billions of dollars and extreme amount of world political leverage the way it has the Wahabi Muslims.
Back to top Go down
Uriah

Uriah

Number of posts : 536
Registration date : 2007-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Value Voters Summit   Value Voters Summit Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 11:32 am

This is exactly what I'm talking about.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Value Voters Summit   Value Voters Summit Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 10:08 pm

Uriah wrote:
This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Even Fox News got heckled.