Panendeism.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Reasoning God

Go down 
+2
Helium
Aaron
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

The Reasoning God Empty
PostSubject: The Reasoning God   The Reasoning God Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 9:58 pm

Many deists view god as a thinking reasoning entity. The thought came to mind that an entity that thinks and reasons would necessarily be a being.

What are your thoughts on that?
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Helium

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2007-09-14

The Reasoning God Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Reasoning God   The Reasoning God Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 11:42 pm

Yes that's a good question.
Back to top Go down
stretmediq

stretmediq

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2007-10-04

The Reasoning God Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Reasoning God   The Reasoning God Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 5:58 am

To me thinking is a process the brain uses to solve problems. So in my opinion God doesn't think. It is just aware. But that awareness is perfectly reasonable and logical.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cafepress.com/newdeism
Uriah

Uriah

Number of posts : 536
Registration date : 2007-10-11

The Reasoning God Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Reasoning God   The Reasoning God Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 1:09 pm

If God needs to reason then God is not all-knowing.

Human reason is not even infallible. It is based on perception, and perception is both fallible and easily manipulated. So, stating that God is a reasoning being is nothing but an anthropomorphization of a something we humans cannot possibly understand or even begin to truly comprehend.

In other words it's no different than some tribe of primitives imbuing God with the elements of nature, it is us (modern primitives) extrapolating our respective perception onto a mute potentiality - our god (this being of reason) is nothing but a reflection of our culture.
Back to top Go down
Gnomon

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2007-09-30

The Reasoning God Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Reasoning God   The Reasoning God Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2009 7:49 pm

Quote :

Precisely! Reasoning, as humans do it, is an uncertain, prolonged, sequential, heuristic process that requires extension in time from question to conclusion. An anthro-morphic deity, who reasoned as humans do, would have to exist in space/time, hence would "know" only a fraction of what is happening now, and what happened in the past. For an Eternal/Infinite Being though, all possibilities (past, future, and present) would be simultaneously and totally available for instantaneous "conclusions".

Any analogy between human reasoning and divine reasoning would be tenuous at best. Hence, I conclude that G*D is not "a being", but Being per se; S/he does not live, G*D IS; S/he does not reason, G*D IS. Such an unfathomable god-concept might sound like a mechanical Mindfield, but I prefer to think of He/r as ALL. Hence, there is nothing that G*D is not. Perhaps, when humans are reasoning, G*D is reasoning. So the answer is yes/no. What was the question again?

Again, I must apologize that I don't "know" what I'm talking about. confused
Back to top Go down
http://www.enformationism.info/
Uriah

Uriah

Number of posts : 536
Registration date : 2007-10-11

The Reasoning God Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Reasoning God   The Reasoning God Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 11:17 am

Gnomon wrote:
Hence, I conclude that G*D is not "a being", but Being per se; S/he does not live, G*D IS; S/he does not reason, G*D IS.

Very Heideggarian.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

The Reasoning God Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Reasoning God   The Reasoning God Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 7:37 pm

Gnomon wrote:
Quote :

Precisely! Reasoning, as humans do it, is an uncertain, prolonged, sequential, heuristic process that requires extension in time from question to conclusion. An anthro-morphic deity, who reasoned as humans do, would have to exist in space/time, hence would "know" only a fraction of what is happening now, and what happened in the past. For an Eternal/Infinite Being though, all possibilities (past, future, and present) would be simultaneously and totally available for instantaneous "conclusions".

Any analogy between human reasoning and divine reasoning would be tenuous at best. Hence, I conclude that G*D is not "a being", but Being per se; S/he does not live, G*D IS; S/he does not reason, G*D IS. Such an unfathomable god-concept might sound like a mechanical Mindfield, but I prefer to think of He/r as ALL. Hence, there is nothing that G*D is not. Perhaps, when humans are reasoning, G*D is reasoning. So the answer is yes/no. What was the question again?

Again, I must apologize that I don't "know" what I'm talking about. confused

Yes, I very much agree with that summation which is why I refer to god as being transrational rather than simply rational.
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Lykos Minister

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-10-08

The Reasoning God Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Reasoning God   The Reasoning God Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 4:23 pm

How’s this for “interesting?”

I have faith that everything and everyone is but a manifestation of the GodForce. Therefore, I suppose, as we think, so does S/He.

And I really can’t believe that we can be “separated” from our connection; that’s just the nature of it.

“Transrational” --- I like that. It appears to come closest to what I’ve observed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.welcome.to/lykostemple
Sponsored content

The Reasoning God Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Reasoning God   The Reasoning God Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Reasoning God
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Panendeism.org :: General Discussions :: Deism-
Jump to: