Panendeism.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spiritual Dryness

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
driver

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Spiritual Dryness Empty
PostSubject: Spiritual Dryness   Spiritual Dryness Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 1:26 pm

Being a Deist can leave me with a sense of spiritual dryness. Most Deist view God as a separate being somewhere out there. We observe God through nature. This is all well and good, but I am searching for a more personal experience. I don't believe in any of the revealed religions or their Bibles. I seek contact through meditation and prayers of affirmation. My reason and experience has led me to this point in my life. Am I A Panendeist or a Panentheist?
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

Spiritual Dryness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiritual Dryness   Spiritual Dryness Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 1:56 pm

If you base your belief in god primarily on personal reason and experience rather than tradition or dogma I would say you are a deist but I wouldn't worry too much about labels.
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Uriah

Uriah

Number of posts : 536
Registration date : 2007-10-11

Spiritual Dryness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiritual Dryness   Spiritual Dryness Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 2:07 pm

As I said in the other thread: Logos.

I often times myself find myself bordering on a kind of Animism. Especially when I walk in nature and feel the energy around me, the life essence - Logos - inhabits everything.

I, as well, don't consider myself a Deist - and I think Panendeism is just a modern reimagining of Zeno's Logos. Being a student of philosophy, I prefer the original version.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

Spiritual Dryness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiritual Dryness   Spiritual Dryness Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 3:25 pm

Uriah wrote:
I, as well, don't consider myself a Deist - and I think Panendeism is just a modern reimagining of Zeno's Logos. Being a student of philosophy, I prefer the original version.

I view Zeno's "Logos" as a type of panendeistic/panentheistic model. Panendeism isn't a model in and of itself. It's just a broad subcategory of Deism. There are a number of philosophies, religions, and god models that fit under the umbrella of Panendeism and Panentheism.
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Gnomon

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2007-09-30

Spiritual Dryness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiritual Dryness   Spiritual Dryness Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 8:56 pm

Quote :
Being a Deist can leave me with a sense of spiritual dryness.

That's an interesting way to put it. By "spiritual dryness" do you mean to imply that Rational Deism seems to have no place for Emotional Humanism? Judging from most of the Deist forums and websites I’ve seen, Deism does indeed seem to be a stripped-down, bare-bones, artificial religion substitute that appeals primarily to a button-down, nerdy-intellectual elite, who meet others of like-mind, only in the ascetic virtual cathedrals chapels of cyber-space.

But beside the monastic, every-deist-for-himself mainstream, there also seems to be a growing undercurrent of church-envy for the joys of face-to-face, communal harmonizing. Some Deists, especially those with young families, are actively looking for a way to alleviate the spiritual aridity that results from an emphasis on individualism and rationalism. Those who propose to start some sort of down-to-earth Deist Church probably feel the need for a little more spiritual humidity in their lives---song, socializing, & soul-food for the sweaty body, in addition to the usual cerebral sustenance for the sang-froid spirit.

Is that the kind of spiritual moisturizer you had in mind? If so, your options are quite limited at the moment. Otherwise, you might want to check-out the Church of Nature’s God at the link below.

http://naturesgod.org/index.html

PS---Panendeism is a technical philosophical term defining a particular worldview. But the numbers of Deists are not sufficient for us to start a sectarian movement based on a precise definition of an undefinable deity. That's why any successful church movement may have to begin as a non-sectarian, big-tent similar to the ill-fated umbrella-organization known as Universism.
Back to top Go down
http://www.enformationism.info/
driver

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Spiritual Dryness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiritual Dryness   Spiritual Dryness Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 10:28 pm

Hi Gnomon. I'll check out that link you provided. You bring up good points. There's a lot of egos in cyberspace on these sites.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Spiritual Dryness Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spiritual Dryness   Spiritual Dryness Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spiritual Dryness
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Panendeism.org :: Panendeism Discussions :: General Panendeism Forum-
Jump to: