Panendeism.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spontaneous Generation of Life?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Gnomon

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2007-09-30

Spontaneous Generation of Life? Empty
PostSubject: Spontaneous Generation of Life?   Spontaneous Generation of Life? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 9:36 pm

This video looks like an illustration of one corollary of my hypothesis of Informationism: Life is information-energized matter. Existing conditions, impinging contingencies, and laws of physics come together, and the behavior we call Life emerges spontaneously. However, the potential for life was there all along, encoded in the "legal structure"* of physics, but only under certain conditions does it become manifest.

The goo in the vid is simply inert starch paste. But when in-form-ation, in the form of sound energy, is injected the lifeless protoplasm seems to come alive. Neat parlor trick, or spontaneous generation of life???

Creeping Oobleck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp1wUodQgqQ

*Legal structure: laws of physics, and structural arrangements of matter
Back to top Go down
http://www.enformationism.info/
Schizophretard

Schizophretard

Number of posts : 380
Registration date : 2007-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Spontaneous Generation of Life?   Spontaneous Generation of Life? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 4:39 am

I find your hypothesis of informationism interesting. It reminds me of one of my reasons I believe there to be a god. The universe appears to have so much order and complexity that it requires intelligence(or information) to exist the way it does.

If aliens crashed a UFO and we reverse engineered it then we would learn how to make more advanced machines. The aliens put information into the UFO and we took information out by reverse engineering it. Our science works this way. We take information out of the universe by reverse engineering it and then from that information we create machines. If we create machines from the information we get out of the universe, these machines are not as complex as the universe, and even our brightest scientists haven't completely figured out the universe then it must be an extremely advanced machine.

If there was no god then I wouldn't expect the universe to appear like an extremely advanced machine.
I would expect it to be extremely simple because there would be no thought put into it. We should be able to easily figure out how the universe works because we would be smarter than the mindless originator of the universe. If the universe was created without intelligence and we are not smart enough to make a universe then that would mean that mindlessness does a better job at putting information into things then intelligence does.

Do you understand what I'm trying to say?
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/dayorder
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Spontaneous Generation of Life?   Spontaneous Generation of Life? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 9:31 am

Gnomon wrote:
This video looks like an illustration of one corollary of my hypothesis of Informationism: Life is information-energized matter. Existing conditions, impinging contingencies, and laws of physics come together, and the behavior we call Life emerges spontaneously. However, the potential for life was there all along, encoded in the "legal structure"* of physics, but only under certain conditions does it become manifest.

The goo in the vid is simply inert starch paste. But when in-form-ation, in the form of sound energy, is injected the lifeless protoplasm seems to come alive. Neat parlor trick, or spontaneous generation of life???

Creeping Oobleck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp1wUodQgqQ

*Legal structure: laws of physics, and structural arrangements of matter

Pretty interesting! I call it Panprotoanimism. In other words all systems posses the potential of life. It's related to the concept of Panprotoexperientialism or Panpsychism, which is the idea that all systems posses the basic properties of consciousness.
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Gnomon

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2007-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Spontaneous Generation of Life?   Spontaneous Generation of Life? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 12:26 pm

Schizophretard wrote:

Do you understand what I'm trying to say?

Yes. We "read" the environment for significance and meaning. But who is the author of that embodied information? Based on our human experience, we infer that randomness is the chalkboard upon which intention forms meaningful patterns. We can easily tell the difference between natural randomness and artificial order. But if the natural order is clearly not artificial, then we can only conclude that we are reading the intentions of the author of Nature. But who is this mysterious author who writes under the pseudonym of Nature? Your guess is as good as mine.
Back to top Go down
http://www.enformationism.info/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spontaneous Generation of Life?   Spontaneous Generation of Life? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spontaneous Generation of Life?
Page 1 of 1