Panendeism.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Environmentalism for the Twenty–First Century

Go down 
+3
Schizophretard
Helium
Aaron
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Paul Anthony

Number of posts : 253
Registration date : 2007-10-07

Environmentalism for the Twenty–First Century - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Environmentalism for the Twenty–First Century   Environmentalism for the Twenty–First Century - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 26, 2008 4:20 pm

Sam Borchon wrote:

This makes me laugh! It seems that environmentalism ONLY works if it saves people money -- even if it's so little that they don't realize notice. I think that's in part because in the U.S. everything important is valued in money ...

I'm confused. So, are you saying I was wrong to replace my incandescent bulbs to save money? Is the proper motivation more important than results?
Back to top Go down
http://www.voltairepress.com
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Environmentalism for the Twenty–First Century   Environmentalism for the Twenty–First Century - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 12:11 pm

Paul Anthony wrote:
Sam Borchon wrote:

This makes me laugh! It seems that environmentalism ONLY works if it saves people money -- even if it's so little that they don't realize notice. I think that's in part because in the U.S. everything important is valued in money ...

I'm confused. So, are you saying I was wrong to replace my incandescent bulbs to save money? Is the proper motivation more important than results?

I think energy conservation can be one of those win/win propositions if you keep your eyes on the big picture.
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Gnomon

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2007-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Environmentalism for the Twenty–First Century   Environmentalism for the Twenty–First Century - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 4:02 pm

Paul Anthony wrote:

This question about the proper source of motivation reminds me of the Nature/Culture dichotomy discussed above.

Money is an artificial motivator, but it pushes all the same buttons as food, sex, fear, love, etc. Almost everything humans do, besides basic bodily functions, is artificial. And yet, the term "artificial" has recently taken on negative connotations of Evil, rather than the positive associations of Art.

The activities and products of human culture are viewed by some of those-who-hold-Nature-sacred to be, not just unnatural, but anti-natural, hence Evil. For them, money is inherently immoral, just as humans are inherently sinful. Money, being a man-made motivator, is viewed, like Adam's apple, as a potential corrupter of innocent morals, rather than merely a tool for good or ill.

Is buying energy-saving lamps a moral issue, or an economic choice? Yes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.enformationism.info/
Sam Borchon

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2007-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Environmentalism for the Twenty–First Century   Environmentalism for the Twenty–First Century - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 6:02 pm

Paul Anthony wrote:
Sam Borchon wrote:

No, no no, don't misunderstand, please. I'm agreeing with you. I'm saying that is a perfect reason to replace your bulbs! I think the only way environmentalism will ever truly work is if it saves people money. The idea that one must have "higher" (?!) ideals to be an environmentalist is silly. That's great, but let's face it -- nothing will ever change in the U.S. if it doesn't hit the pocketbook the right way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Environmentalism for the Twenty–First Century   Environmentalism for the Twenty–First Century - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Environmentalism for the Twenty–First Century
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2