Panendeism.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Another blind man and today's elephant

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Negoba

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2007-12-01

Another blind man and today's elephant Empty
PostSubject: Another blind man and today's elephant   Another blind man and today's elephant Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 11:49 pm

I'm a long time subscriber to the elephant and the blind men view of God and religion, believing that there are many aspects of the truth that can all seem conflicting yet all be right. (Perhaps a good reason to use parables?)

Anyway, my family attends an Ethical Society and interestingly enough, a candle lighting ceremony almost identical to the one done on Easter vigil in the Catholic church was done as part of the "Winter Celebration / Solstice / Xmas surragate."

There was talk of fire images and ceremonies from the past. As I sat there, for some reason, after thinking of Deist ideas, the idea of God as the First Fire occurred to me. The first candle was the source of all the fires that followed, but had no control or perhaps even knowledge of the fires that sprung from it.

I could also imagine that a First Fire with some sort of consciousness would perhaps like the idea of multiplying and spreading.

Again, probably just another little porthole out onto the sea of Truth I got to peek out. I'm sure someone here has reference to a better way of saying the same thing by a wiser one than me.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Uriah

Uriah

Number of posts : 536
Registration date : 2007-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Another blind man and today's elephant   Another blind man and today's elephant Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 1:02 am

I think there is a reason that fire has, in just about every culture, been seen as a gift from God, or the gods. There is something spiritual about fire, something about the finite nature of a flame mirrors the ephemeral nature of the human experience.
Back to top Go down
The Paineful Truth

The Paineful Truth

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2007-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Another blind man and today's elephant   Another blind man and today's elephant Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 7:17 am

Fire is flame, fire is passion, but especially, fire is the light that illuminates our way and symbolizes Truth.

As the song say, don't let the light go out. I have long been a fan of seeing Hanuka/Christmas as a traditional festival of lights--profoundly simple.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Another blind man and today's elephant   Another blind man and today's elephant Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 11:48 am

Yes, I've heard many comparisons of lights and flames to reason and our souls. I agree with Uriah that the finite nature of fire mirrors our finite existence and the passing of flame is symbolic of us passing down our lives to our children.

Also fire is a necessity of life in many parts of the world therefor fire has also come to be symbolic of life across many cultures.
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another blind man and today's elephant   Another blind man and today's elephant Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another blind man and today's elephant
Page 1 of 1