Panendeism.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Introduce Yourself Here

Go down 
+22
MedleyMisty
Uriah
zjl56
cclendenen
Socinian
Gnomon
Logan
Schizophretard
ReinGatto
stretmediq
AL
Wandered Off
michael1111
Helium
Paul Anthony
The Paineful Truth
Ninah
eh60driver
Sam Borchon
Travis Clementsmith
native_son
Aaron
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

Introduce Yourself Here Empty
PostSubject: Introduce Yourself Here   Introduce Yourself Here Icon_minitimeWed Feb 14, 2007 12:49 pm

Let us know a little about yourself and how you found us.
Back to top Go down
http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
native_son

native_son

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2007-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Introduce Yourself Here Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2007 5:42 pm

Hey, Aaron.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Introduce Yourself Here Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2007 6:13 pm

Hey NS. Nice to see you. Smile
Back to top Go down
Travis Clementsmith
Admin
Travis Clementsmith

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2007-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Introduce Yourself Here Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2007 2:05 pm

Sorry I'm so late to the party, I forgot to activate my membership! Been real busy lately (which means away from the computer). Getting assigned alot of overtime as the staffing crisis at work worsens despite our brilliant administration's assurances that there is no staffing crisis. "We just work the ones we have six days a week, see, no crisis!"

I digress. I hope to get back into quite a few things, one of which is this forum and web site. I had started a meditation program, and after successfully meditating twice a day for two weeks, I got sick and totally screwed up my pattern, so I got to get back into that as well. Its an accelerated course program, and I decided to become a guinnea pig for it and tell you what I thought of it. I figured its time to see if some of these programs might work. I'm going to keep a journal and report my explorations.

Of course, yard work, kids, and vacations all conspire to plot against me, but I am going to try to get back on track. I'm thinking about tying all this in to an Integral Lifepractice. Hey Aaron, maybe a separate forum or portal on the site for those that want to do this might be set up. Could be a neat feature we could offer.

Hope everyone is doing well and look forward to building this site and forum!

-TC
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Introduce Yourself Here Icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2007 4:46 pm

Hey Travis! Glad you found the forum! Smile

I was actually thinking about an ILP section. It would be a cool idea. I think I'd start my ILP by creating a 36 hour day so that I could get everything done that I need to. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sam Borchon

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2007-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Introduce Yourself Here Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2007 5:36 pm

Hi,

Thought I'd drop by and say hello. Good to see some familiar faces here!

Sam
Back to top Go down
Travis Clementsmith
Admin
Travis Clementsmith

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2007-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Introduce Yourself Here Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2007 5:39 pm

Hi Sam, good to see you here!

-TC
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Introduce Yourself Here Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2007 10:16 pm

Hi Sam! Smile
Back to top Go down
eh60driver

eh60driver

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2007-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Introduce Yourself Here Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2007 10:04 am

Intro: 57 years old. Retired Army helicopter pilot (UH/EH-60 Blackhawks). Currently I work in a State Correctional Institution. Married 36 years, two sons, one granddaughter with another due in September (one from each son). I live 20 mi South of Pittsburgh, PA, and honestly don't care one way or the other if the Steelers do well or not.

I was raised in the Methodist church because it was the only one within walking distance from my house. My parents never went to church and neither encouraged nor discouraged my attendance. In my idealistic 20's I joined the Baha'i Faith. In my 30's I became a Mormon. In my 40's back to Baha'i and finally lost my religion altogether on 9/11. I realized God ain't tellin' nobody to do nothin'.

I'd heard of Deism and looked it up on Google (or something) and found Deism.com.

I think I'm a pandeist. I don't know. I'm not really crazy about labels. I feel that all life is connected somehow and that we all cause a ripple everytime we think. I feel there is a "force" that holds the universe in order and that we are all dependent on that force, but that force is not responsible for our actions or owes us anything. I believe that prayer may work at times, because as in physics, simply by observing something, you change it. So perhaps by thinking of something, you affect it. But, of course, nothing talks to you when you do this. Am I making sense?

Anyway, I'll check you guys out. You folks seem to have more pertanent discussions than some of the other places.

Rodg
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Introduce Yourself Here Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2007 11:06 am

Hi Rodger and welcome! Smile

You probably already know most of us here from PD and DD. This forum is relatively new and still kind of quiet but is set up to discuss things like spirituality, philosophy, and metaphysics in more detail for those who are interested in that sort of thing.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any or chime in with anything that comes to mind.

Nice to see you here. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ninah

Ninah

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2007-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Introduce Yourself Here Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2007 5:49 pm

Hi all I am new here, checked the forumn a few times but never posted.

I am an artist and a small sampeling of my work can be seen at jhreh.com

I used to post a good deal at siutao, but have left that sight forever.

thanx for the place you have here
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Introduce Yourself Here Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2007 6:59 pm

Hello and welcome! Smile
Back to top Go down
The Paineful Truth

The Paineful Truth

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2007-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Introduce Yourself Here Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 1:55 pm

Some know me here as Stewball from the DD forum.

I am a deist but acknowledge that atheism is the other reasonable position on the existence of God, thus neither one can claim they have absolute knowledge, making "don't know" a mandatory agnostic aspect of either.

I believe that God=Truth where God is our supreme ideal (over money, fame, power etc.) which may or may not turn out to be a supernatural spirit in the sky. I further believe that Truth has (at least) four aspects: natural law, justice, love and beauty. Anyone interested about how all this makes sense, please refer to (buy Rolling Eyes ) my self-published but professionally inspired book, Truth: Resuming the Age of Reason, available hardbound, in paperback or download, here.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Introduce Yourself Here Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2007 1:58 pm

Hey Stew, in western philosophy it is often refered to as the Good, the True, and the Beautiful.
Back to top Go down
The Paineful Truth

The Paineful Truth

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Introduce Yourself Here Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 10:36 pm

What is?
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Introduce Yourself Here Icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2007 9:33 am

"Natural law, justice, love and beauty."

The good, the true, and the beautiful is a variation on it.
Back to top Go down
Paul Anthony

Paul Anthony

Number of posts : 253
Registration date : 2007-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Introduce Yourself Here Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2007 3:59 am

Well, this must be where everyone went!

I've been checking DD now and then, and the lights are on but nobody's home! Wink

For those of you who don't know me, I believe the universe is too orderly to have occurred by accident, but life is too random to be the result of micromanagement by a paternal god.

In other words, I'm a Deist. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.voltairepress.com
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Introduce Yourself Here Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2007 8:01 am

Hi Paul. Glad you found us. Welcome! Smile
Back to top Go down
Helium

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2007-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Introduce Yourself Here Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2007 6:14 pm

Quote :
Well, this must be where everyone went!

Yeah, we're crashin' this party!

Welcome PA!

Also you'll find a lot of familiar folks at www.positivedeism.com which I think it's safe to say always was a sister site to dynamic deism, including this site's esteemed leader wbo also posts there.
Back to top Go down
michael1111

michael1111

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2007-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Introduce Yourself Here Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 12:49 am

howdy! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The Paineful Truth

The Paineful Truth

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Introduce Yourself Here Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 6:22 am

Howdy Michael

But this isn't all just about what I believe.
What do you
....believe.

Aaron, It's not like me to find fault and nitpick or anything (Rolling Eyes), but isn't Truth being true kind of redundant, and being good kind of a (correct but obvious?) value judgment about Truth (it isn't evil) rather than an aspect of its nature?
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Introduce Yourself Here Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 9:10 am

The Paineful Truth wrote:
But this isn't all just about what I believe.
What do you
....believe.

Aaron, It's not like me to find fault and nitpick or anything (Rolling Eyes), but isn't Truth being true kind of redundant, and being good kind of a (correct but obvious?) value judgment about Truth (it isn't evil) rather than an aspect of its nature?

Hey, I didn't come up with "the good", "the true" and "the beautiful". That was western philosophy. I do agree with it though. There are truths about what's "good", there are truths about what's "beautiful", and there are truths about what's "true".

I think there's a difference between "truth" (or truths) and "the true". "The true" is just one perspective. If you equate "truth" and "the true" in a reductive way then you could just as easily reduce everything to "the beautiful" or "the good". I mean isn't "truth" and "goodness" beautiful? Or for that matter isn't "beauty" and "truth" good? Wink
Back to top Go down
Ninah

Ninah

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2007-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Introduce Yourself Here Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 10:48 am

Hello! Smile
Back to top Go down
The Paineful Truth

The Paineful Truth

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Introduce Yourself Here Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 4:23 pm

Howdy Ninah, welcome to the board. I'm new here too but I transferred my credits from another board.

Please tell us about yourself and what brought you here. More than likely, most of us are here for the same reasons.
Back to top Go down
The Paineful Truth

The Paineful Truth

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Introduce Yourself Here Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 5:00 pm

Aaron wrote:
The Paineful Truth wrote:

Hey, I didn't come up with "the good", "the true" and "the beautiful". That was western philosophy.

A specific "western philosophy"?

Quote :
I think there's a difference between "truth" (or truths) and "the true". "The true" is just one perspective. If you equate "truth" and "the true" in a reductive way then you could just as easily reduce everything to "the beautiful" or "the good". I mean isn't "truth" and "goodness" beautiful? Or for that matter isn't "beauty" and "truth" good? Wink

That is dependent on what the definition of "is" is, is it not? Think

"The true", if I understand what you mean, is just a piece of the whole Truth. 1+1=2, 2+2=4, and while they are both true, the are just pieces of the puzzle that is the whole Truth that are commonly referred to as both true and truths in their own right.

How is goodness anything more than a value judgement equated with morality by those who honor Truth? Isn't goodness the application of Truth to a code of morality, virute and subjective taste? Truth is "good" for sentient beings, but does the rest of the universe care? IOW, is Truth inherently good/moral, or do we just use it to deduce morality making the assumption that sentient lifeforms are given ultimatle priority (God {Truth}, by His {It's} absence, being left out of the equation)?

(Hmmmmm. I just realized, this is the intro thingy. Sleep [We need a tunnel vision and an asleep at the switch emoticon.])
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Introduce Yourself Here Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Introduce Yourself Here
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Panendeism.org :: General Discussions :: Open Discussion-
Jump to: