Panendeism.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What happens after you've become enlightened?

Go down 
+8
A. Ben-Shema
stretmediq
deist
Wandered Off
michael1111
Uriah
Helium
Aaron
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
A. Ben-Shema

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2007-12-17

What happens after you've become enlightened? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What happens after you've become enlightened?   What happens after you've become enlightened? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 4:31 am

Aaron wrote:
What do you think happens after you've become enlightened? I mean what do you do with yourself, teach, go about your daily business, go sit under a tree and melt in with existence?

I don't think we should worry or even think about what we would or might do if or when we become Enlightened. First we must start the true Path to Enlightenment, and then simply let things flow and unravel. We will know what we are to do through EXPERIENCING the LIGHT.

In other words, we must not try to run before we can walk.

Peace, Love, & Understanding Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://gnosis.forumotion.com
Averroes

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: What happens after you've become enlightened?   What happens after you've become enlightened? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 5:41 am

Uriah wrote:
The only enlightenment there is, is the realization and acceptance that there is none.

You Sir! Are a Buddha! You are a Socrates! A Philo Sophist!
Back to top Go down
Gnomon

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2007-09-30

PostSubject: Re: What happens after you've become enlightened?   What happens after you've become enlightened? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2007 2:42 pm

Aaron wrote:
What about more western models of enlightenment? Do you think they hold any validity?
Perhaps the most succinct phrasing of the western model of enlightenment is Jesus' promise, "ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." Presumably, based on the context, the "Word" of Jesus is The Truth. And "freedom" seems to refer to escaping the consequences of sin while wandering in the dark.

This kind of enlightenment "cometh by faith" in the "Word of God". In other words, doing what you are told by authoritative dispensers of truth, without asking questions. However, that external approach to truth and enlightenment, stumbles on the implicit quandry: exactly who is the authority, and what version of the "word" should we trust?

I suspect that the potential for cognitive dissonance inherent in Authoritative Enlightenment causes many people to turn to the only source of truth they can trust implicitly: the Self. Thus we can understand the popularity of Eastern meditation methods for discovering Truth within: Self Enlightenment.

And yet, even that unimpeachable repository of truth is subject to error and delusion. So the question remains, who can you trust in your quest for light by which to see? And one alternative is the empirical method of Science, whereby subjective, personal insights are tested by objective, authoritative review. I suppose you could call that path to enlightenment the Scientific model.
Back to top Go down
http://www.enformationism.info/
Averroes

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: What happens after you've become enlightened?   What happens after you've become enlightened? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2007 5:22 am

Gnomon wrote:
And yet, even that unimpeachable repository of truth is subject to error and delusion. So the question remains, who can you trust in your quest for light by which to see? And one alternative is the empirical method of Science, whereby subjective, personal insights are tested by objective, authoritative review. I suppose you could call that path to enlightenment the Scientific model

And that is precisely why the 18th century was properly the Age of Reason: Enlightenment. In that era, the "original" Anglican epistemology of Empiricism (advanced by Frances Bacon in 16th century at the height of Renaissance, and formulated systematically by Newton and Locke in the 17th) came to bear its fruit through revolutions in politics, religion, science, and philosophy under the tutelage of Hume, Smith, Voltaire, Diderot, and most of all Kant.

I've made a Deist calender for myself, and I wanted it to start somewhere in the 18th century. Fortunately, I found a convenient date: 1775 (the year in which the Continental Congress declared war against the mother country under the constitutional pretext of vouchsafing the chartered rights of settlers that were subject to the Great British Crown) as the year zero; which makes 1776 the year one--unlike the Christian calender where the birth of Christ is the year one, and there is no year zero between 1BC and 1AD.
And while it's tempting to begin the year from July, I prefer January because that was the month (of 1776) in which Common Sense was published and thus began the prophetic career of Thomas Paine.
Back to top Go down
Minusone

Minusone

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: What happens after you've become enlightened?   What happens after you've become enlightened? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 1:46 pm

Nothing
Back to top Go down
Helium

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2007-09-14

PostSubject: Re: What happens after you've become enlightened?   What happens after you've become enlightened? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 11:56 pm

Quote :

Then your wife enlightens you.
Back to top Go down
modabid

PostSubject: Post Enlightenment   What happens after you've become enlightened? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2010 5:52 pm

Enlightenment is being exposed to a source of knowledge which has no end. There is no guarantee that you will understand the knowledge, that depends on your level of experience. The knowledge can thus be overwhelming to those not prepared for it.

Imagine being given a book on Physics in which everything regarding the universe was explained. You may have access to the information, but will you understand it to the point where you can make practical use of it?

It is the same with enlightenment. Having attained access to an unlimited source of information, you now have to gain the experience of using that information in a practical way.
Back to top Go down
Mechajutaro

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2010-05-17

PostSubject: Re: What happens after you've become enlightened?   What happens after you've become enlightened? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 12:37 am

Aaron wrote:
What do you think happens after you've become enlightened? I mean what do you do with yourself, teach, go about your daily business, go sit under a tree and melt in with existence?

Enlightenment is but the icing on the cake; to reach Nirvana may not be possible in even 100 lifetimes Brick Wall tongue As to my conduct along the journey...a combination of the above three has proven the most fulfilling course of action afro
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What happens after you've become enlightened?   What happens after you've become enlightened? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2